cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 7 Return Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right I've been following this for a while and had a call from O2 last night saying that Samsung are recalling them.

OK, no worries.

The issue I have (and no one seems to be able to answer) is if I decide to hold onto my potentially exploding Note 7 until replacement phones are readily avaliable, will O2 or Samsung reject the replacement later on?

I can send the phone back now and be without a phone for 2-3 weeks, job done and yes this is the sensible option, I understand that.

But alternatively can I hold onto my phone for the next few weeks and when replacement phones are in stock, etc, walk into my local O2 store and get a replacement there and then? I know I run the risk of the thing exploding but from what i've seen no cases have been reported in the UK yet.

No other phone interests me so buying something else is out of the question and I'm perfactly happy with my O2 contract, etc.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I would imagine it's your choice but only o2 can answer the question for you.
Is this something you can check @Toby ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried using online chat and didn't really get anywhere.

I tried speaking to Samsung directly on their helpline but stopped waiting after 40 mins, they are a tad busy I guess.

Message 3 of 26

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Live Chat won't be of any help. Don't waste your time. You could try speaking to customer service on 202, but they probably don't know any more than anyone else does at the current time. If you've had a call informing you of the recall, and you keep using the phone knowing the risks, you could potentially run into problems should the phone start to misbehave. They could turn around and say 'well you were told of the problem, but you kept using it', which might get them off the hook of offering you a free replacement.

Obviously this is your decision, but if it were me, I'd be using an old backup phone, or just buy a cheap and cheerful interim phone until they do the recall, and not use the Note 7 again.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 26

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Always call, never use chat.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I had a backup phone there wouldn't be an issue, I'd return it today.

Sadly I don't.

I understand that EE are providing customers with temp S7 edges until everything is resolved when they return their Note 7's.

I use my phone for work (BT cloud system) so if I don't have a phone, I can't take phone calls.

There is a risk of the battery exploding and I don't want to own a phone with this risk but waiting 2-3 weeks before Samsung pull their finger out and I get a replacement is going to be a royal pain in the ****.

Message 6 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I agree with your comments @Anonymous. If EE are offering customers replacement phones while this issue is resolved, I can't see why O2 can't do the same?

On the other hand this is a Catch 22 for you. You have had the call from O2 to return the phone. I would think holding onto it 'potentially' could cause problems and I don't mean from the battery issue.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

So spoke to Tom in customer support.

He checked and believes that if I held onto the phone then both O2 and Samsung would not replace the phone so I would be stuck with a potentially faulty phone for my contract period.

He's sending me a giffy bag to return the phone.

Frustrating to say the least.

He did say that if I ordered a new phone, S7 edge for example, I would also have a 14 day cooling period with that too so I could potentially order an S7 edge from store, use it whilst samsung sort their issues out and then return it under the cooling off period and get the Note 7 again.

Will see if that works.

Message 8 of 26

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I personally don't think that's a great idea. You'd be taking out another contract. What do you do if it takes longer than the 14 day cooling off period to replace the Note 7? That's a very real possibility.

If EE are offering their customers free replacement phones, why aren't O2 doing the same? Penny-pinching tactics. This problem is not of your making. O2 should be helping their customers, not putting up roadblocks.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 26