Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Play Services app causing battery drain

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions

I have the Samsung Galaxy S10 and this past week I've noticed my battery draining a lot more than usual.

On Device Care - Battery, Google Play Services is showing at 108.4% battery usage for the past week and is at the top of anything else. WhatsApp which I probably use the most as I use it for work as well as personal, is only at 51.4% Anyone know what this app is actually for and what could be causing this sudden drain? I've cleared the app cache and rebooted but don't think it's made a difference!

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I've just gone into settings and disabled location and other permissions on apps that I dont think need it. It's helped a little. My battery seems more as it was before. I daren't uninstall the updates because I've had issues in the past on a different phone where it wouldn't give me the option to install the new updates and everything was going wrong for a few weeks before it decided to sort itself out.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Had that problem on an older phone, hard to troubleshoot :

https://www.howtogeek.com/193982/why-is-google-services-draining-so-much-battery-on-android/

Backup the phone to Google's servers, then factory reset and reinstall from your backup (follow the prompts, easy to do) is what fixed it for me. 

Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You could try uninstalling the updates to play services.
It will automatically update itself again but may help if it's got itself confused somehow.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey @SamsungFanBoy, it'd be great if you could let us know whether the suggestions above help you get this battery issue sorted on your S10? In case anyone else encounters the same problem, your experience could help them slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 5

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I've just gone into settings and disabled location and other permissions on apps that I dont think need it. It's helped a little. My battery seems more as it was before. I daren't uninstall the updates because I've had issues in the past on a different phone where it wouldn't give me the option to install the new updates and everything was going wrong for a few weeks before it decided to sort itself out.
Message 5 of 5