cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet Another Brand New Apple Watch Series 5 Will No Connect To Cellular Data Plan

FreckledFace
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I duly received a brand spanking new apple watch series 5 earlier this week which I ordered online via the O2 website and I am struggling to activate a cellular data plan on it. I have called customer services (without any success!) and duly looked for help in the O2 community and it would that seem a fair number of other customers have previously experienced this problem. The thread closes with a note to say it has been solved and rub salt into the wound by suggesting I vieew the solution. There is no viable solution, if there was then I wouldn't be tearing my hair out writing this post. It would seem that O2 on the phone no nothing about these apple watched. Mine supposedly came with an unlimited data plan for an extra £5 per month but when I go into my Watch app and then select set up data plan, I get the following message “Apple Watch on O2 is only available to personal pay monthly customers. find out more at o2.co.uk/help/apple-watch." The link quoted is of no help whatsoever and I can confirm I am an O2 personal pay monthly subscriber since last week although I am literally sitting here regretting making the switch to O2. I am literally tearing my hear out in pieces over this. What seemed like a good idea no longer seems so good. My first week with O2 has been nothing but a complete and utter nightmare. Please can an O2 staff member or moderator take their time to help me to get the watch functioning properly on cellular data as advertised and then help me to find hapiness for your mobile network again. Alternatively, anyone else have any ideas? Many Thanks.

Edited due to my badly arthritic hand causing me to make lots of typos.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@FreckledFace I will tag our community members @MI5 and @adamtemp64 who are iPhone users, and also our community admin, but admin won't be back on here until Tuesday. @Martin-O2@Marjo@LukasB any help?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@FreckledFace 

My guess would be an error in your account setup, but without access to your account, there's nothing we can do.

I can only suggest you keep trying customer service until you find someone sufficiently trained.

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

FreckledFace
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your responses. Sadly I have tried customer services enough. I've been on the line for hours. Been pushed from pillar to post. I must have spoken to everyone person in that o2 call centre at least twice this week. Nobody is trained to deal with my issue nor do they even seem to care.

i do however notice that when I select the Apple Watch under my account is says the following;-

"It looks like something's gone wrong."

it couldn't be more correct but what a pathetic and useless message to display. Irony comes to mind.

i will await a response from the people you so kindly tagged in to this thread when they return on Tuesday. i just cannot fathom calling O2 customer services yet again. Several others have mentioned this problem in previous months and have had responses from O2 moderators etc and then they all of a sudden out of nowhere post that everything is hunky dory and the watch is now working. So if those O2 people can take a look at this form me then I'd be very grateful. What's the point in o2 selling these watches if their call centre staff cannot help you when you are having problems. Let's hope my feelings towards this company become more positive on Tuesday and I have a watch that works. I will not hesitate to take this further and also to contact trading standards. Under the scales of goods act purchases should be fit for purpose for at least 3 years from date of purchase. Mine hasn't even been fit from purpose from day one. I am sorry to make a dogs dinner of this but my mental health as a result of this is going through the roof. I will await to see what happens on Tuesday. Many thanks.

Message 4 of 8

FreckledFace
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For further information I remember when ordering the Apple Watch online selecting the option so that the device and data plan will be working on arrival. Before, on Three UK I remember selecting that I'd be using my SIM in an android handset when in fact it was going to be used in an iPhone. This caused much trouble and confusion. Some years ago now but could my selection to activate the data plan at the point of checkout mess things up. I now notice you are meant to go through a sequence on the iPhone in order to activate the data plan. If mine was already activated upon shipment the iPhone wouldn't be able to do it thing. I hope I'm talking sense. Could this be the problem? Answers on a postcard for Tuesday! 😃

Message 5 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@FreckledFace 

It's very common for O2 to forget to add Apple specific criteria to accounts so yours may be missing iData or some other setting that tells the system that you are using an iPhone. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Just to ask if your iPhone data is actually working @FreckledFace and using the idata apn's

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 8

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Cheers for the tag @Bambino and for the previous comments above guys @MI5 , @adamtemp64 ! Hope you had a good long weekend. slight_smile

Are you still experiencing problems with this after the weekend @FreckledFace or have you made any progress? 

Message 8 of 8