Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 3 4G & WiFi Calling

andyproctor
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello,

I have just bought a Google Pixel 3 XL direct from a retailer today. I have 4G and WiFi Calling enabled on my Pay monthly tariff but looks like O2 do not yet support this handset for these features.

Can anyone confirm the same or any different? Also can anyone confirm if this is planned to be added in the future, I'm guessing in a system update?

Many thanks.
Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

andyg68uk
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If you put your phone onto airplane mode and then turn on WiFi you should notice you're able to make and receive WiFi calls. On the android notification bar (pull it all the way down) on the bottom left it will say either O2 UK , O2 UK WiFi calling, or O2 UK 4g calling as the network depending which mode it's automatically switched to. You also need to have turned on 4g and WiFi calling on your account (you can do it through the my O2 app or on the website). I really noticed the difference with the 4g call quality (it also connects calls pretty much instantly).
Message 21 of 62

jrwn
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well what a difference a day makes from being told it was never going to happen to there it is working. I have a Pixel 3 bought from Googe direct.  I installed the Android 9 System update initially with no effect so contacted O2 to get 4G and WiFi calling activated again (previously enabled on another phone) in case that was the problem and they re-applied the bolt-on.  Still no WiFi Calling option available on the Pixel 3 at that stage. Then today I checked for further updates and a System Security bug fix release came through which took some time to install and after a restart the WiFi calling option at last appeared in the mobile network advanced settings, switched it on and it worked straight away. Cheers.

Message 22 of 62

Jimbob1972
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When you enabled wifi calling, did you get the option to selece mobile or wifi preferred?

It shows this on the guru step through process, but i dont get the option. When go back to the mobile network screen, it says mobile proferred, so not working for me 😞

Message 23 of 62

Jimbob1972
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When you enabled wifi calling, did you get the option to selece mobile or wifi preferred?

It shows this on the guru step through process, but i dont get the option. When go back to the mobile network screen, it says mobile proferred, so not working for me Smiley Sad

Message 24 of 62

jrwn
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No I didn't get that option either.  It would be useful as it doesn't seem to reliably switch to WiFi when there is a poor quality cellular signal and only does when there is no signal

Message 25 of 62

Jimbob1972
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same here....

It finally switched over to wifi calling when I went into our bedroom - where thers is literally no signal.  The rest of house it reverts to mobile network, even thought the signal is shockingly poor.

Come on O2, give us the option to prefer wifi

Message 26 of 62

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

OnePlus and Sony already do this, and we’re already working with others to do the same. We’ve no further info or dates to share other than a ‘watch this space’.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 27 of 62

MarkH76
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Will this be enabled for Pixel 2 as well? They are very similar phones after all.

Message 28 of 62

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Only @Chris_K can answer this @MarkH76

Currently these are the only devices supported.

Wifi and 4G Calling is currently available on the following devices:

• iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone X, iPhone Xr, iPhone 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE
  • Samsung Galaxy S10, S10e, S10 Plus, S9, S9 Plus, S8, S8 Plus, Note8, S7, S7 edge and J3 2017, A8, A3 2017, A6, J6, J5 (2017), A5 (2017), Note9, A7, J6+, J4+, A9
  • Sony Xperia XZ2, Xperia XZ3, XZ2 Compact, XZ Premium, Xperia XA2, Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact
  • Oneplus 5, 5T, 6, 6T
  • HTC U11
  • Doro 8035
  • Google Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 62

Hogues
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can someone with working 4G/Wi-Fi calling confirm which Android build they're running?

(Navigate to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (the very bottom of the list on my device))

I don't have the option for any Wi-Fi calling under Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> Advanced 

I've forced my Pixel 3 XL to check for updates and am currently running build PQ2A.190205.001 (Android Security Patch Level: 5 February 2019), but no further updates available.

Can confirm Wi-Fi & 4G calling options are enabled on my O2 account

Message 30 of 62