cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to BT home hub by wi-fi

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and cannot get it to connect to my BT home hub by wi-fi.  It keeps trying to connect but fails repeatedly.  I have entered the password correctly.  can anyone give any advice please?

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, remote diagnosis isnt easy. 'hands on' is much more preferable to assuming someone is following your instructions properly. wifi power save, *#0011# yes indeed, this as you probably know re-sets to 'on' after a re-boot. After my last re-set I carried out the latest frimware update as previously mentioned, this left my phone fully up to date with nothing installed other than factory default apps, I havnt cherry picked those default apps in an attempt to find out if one or more of them are the cause of the problem as I dont beleive this is an appropriate course of action to follow un less you are working for Samsung & tasked with fault diagnosis. As an end consumer I expect the device to operate as advertised.

After receiving my replacment GS3 & upgraded HH3 I made sure my freshly re-set & updated phone was the only wireless device attemting to connect to my hub, apart from my laptop which I used to carry out a check on my wireless network. My hub occupied a channel all by itself with no overlap from other channels, the channels that were occupied i.e. neighbours had very week signal, nothing that would impare my network. After the check I deleted my laptop from my hub. 

I am certain its an i.p assignment issue.

Message 31 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Sounds like it could be. Set phone to a static ip to check. And yes, you have to go back in and turn power save off again after a reboot. I'm hoping they leave it as a switch at some future update...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did try a static ip address on my GS3, I also made sure it was an address much higher than other devices on my network. This did indeed seem to work, my phone connected first time every time, even after a re-boot, no internet access though? 

Message 33 of 43

MI5
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Incorrect gateway...??
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 34 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah pretty sure I used correct default gateway, primary and secondary dns also. These change however & dont remain static. I will have to double check here incase I have missed something obvious. 

Task for tomorrow, need my shut eye. Thanks for your help mate, pleasure chatting 🙂

Any ideas please let me know, I will post back when I have attempted a static ip again.

Message 35 of 43

MI5
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

Be interested in how you get on. Will post more if I think of anything slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 36 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

***Quick Update For Those Following This Thread***

I now have a fully functional Galaxy s3. I received my replacement today from o2, everything works sweet. For any body with s3 issues similar to mine I have only a few things to say.

1. Check and double check that you do not have issues with your router or quality of your wireless net, this is easily done by connecting other wireless devices to your network.

2. Try connecting at various hotspots around town or perhaps at a friends. By following these suggestions you will conclude your phone is or isn’t faulty.

3. If all of the above point to a problem with your phone then use Your desktop software to check for firmware updates to your phone, follow common sense steps such as re-booting your router or phone, this is as technical as it needs to get, don’t feel the urge to follow convoluted steps in order to make something work that should just work straight from the box, those steps will just waste your time & will not fix your problem.

By using a bit of common sense you will solve your problem a lot quicker and save yourself a headache.

I previously had 2 faulty s3's, third time was the charm though & I have a phone that works well, by following the common sense approach I new it had to be a faulty phone (hardware) even though it seemed un-likely that I could have had 2 faulty phones in a row, but there you go. Make sure you really do check all of the above before getting o2 to replace your phone other wise you will just delay solving your problem.

I am cautiously optimistic at the moment & if all goes well I will be phoning o2 customer services to thank them for a great service, my replacement phone arrived 24hr after phoning.

p.s. A quick thank you to MI5 for your time cheers mate.

Message 37 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad its all sorted slight_smile

Message 38 of 43

MI5
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Glad its all sorted slight_smile

Me too and thanks for letting us know.

Currently using:
Message 39 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, its a pleasure to finaly have a working phone

Message 40 of 43