cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another z3c cracked back!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Overnight it seems my z3 compact has developed a crack in the rear glass all the way from top to bottom. It also has a corner crack in the front glass panel which again appeared from nowhere a few weeks ago which I let go along with a misted up camera lens. I haven't dropped it (yes I know my word against theirs I suppose). My question is am I better to go through Sony or o2? Which will try to fob me off most? Thanks
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
All I can do is wait and see I guess. I'm not sure why Sony wouldn't fix the flap as that's some glue that has come away from the rubber seal and there's no water in it I(the camera cover glass marks are undetectable without really staring and I was blaming this for the poor camera quality when it may just be.. A poor camera).

If they don't fix it I will spend £25 on insurance excess, sell it and end the contract. With only £110 of my device plan left I should get upwards of £160 at least ( it's in perfect condition apart from said issues) selling so it's not all bad.
Message 11 of 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If the lens cover was ever misted up, there's water in it.
The cam isn't too poor on Z3 tbh, I took a clear shot of the international space station with one and I have doubts many other phones could tbh.
As for the flaps, Sony won't fix them alone as they are part of the ip certification, if they fix that, they must also fix the glass's in order to send you back a device with the ip rating intact.
Message 12 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
The lens is definitely not misted up its a mark of some kind but I would think it wouldn't affect the camera quality (I've just found the quality of pictures not very sharp and doesn't cope with variable lighting conditions very well, my wife's moto g 3 seems miles better to me). I've not mentioned this to Sony anyway.

I think my argument would be with the flap is that it's not the ip rating I'm concerned with. Its very irritating and inconvenient to have it flapping around all the time. What are my options with that? Cutting it off would leave the phone looking horrible and if it's there it should work properly I would say.

The crack on the back looks identical to many posted on forums complaining about the exact same issue (it's one very thin line from top to bottom and not reminiscent of a shatter) and some have had luck getting it fixed/replaced. With no ding/scuff marks anywhere they may believe me.

I will be annoyed if they don't fix the flap at least, as that is annoying. The crack I don't really notice but it still shouldn't happen. I live in hope but I'm aware it's easy for them to just say I dropped it.
Message 13 of 20

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Ahh that'll be the reflective coating coming away, it did on mine too tbh.
Just got confused cuz in your first post you mentioned the lens misting up.
If you have a 25 quid excess on your insurance, my advice is to use it and be done with the hassle that may soon follow.
Message 14 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The rubber seals are available on ebay to replace yourself, which may stop the flap from flapping.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's the reflective coating coming off! That's solves that thanks, I'm not sure why I said misted as it's clearly not. I'm in two minds now whether to or not, perhaps I won't, but on the other hand I feel I should fight my corner. Lots of thinking to do this afternoon.
Message 16 of 20

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
My honest opinion...
You will not get it repaired under warranty.
Buy the £5 flaps off eBay or insurance claim it, any other option is 95% likely to cost you more time and money
Message 17 of 20

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have cancelled and so come to my senses I think. I will get rid of the clear case and buy a solid one so I can't see the back and let it bother me. I will also fix the flap.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice in getting over my stubbornness and cancelling the repair.
Message 19 of 20

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Makes sense tbh mate.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 20