cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G on my S4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, a 4G tarrif and am in a 4G area. However, I have no 4G signal and on my S4 I have no option to select 4G. Am I missing something?

Kam

Message 1 of 117
116 REPLIES 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too installed the battery monitor app, went to "Test" tab on the bottom right, and changed the option to LTE/GSM/CDMA.

Then my phone found the 4g network and worked well.

I know it's only a temporary fix, and I'm still waiting for the S4 update so that I don't have to have a widget I have no interest in installed on my phone just to get 4g.

But saying that, it enabled the 4g on my phone, when the LTE option most definitely wasn't available in the network settings on the phone.

Having said that I spoke with o2 this morning, the operator spoke from a printed bulletin advising that the update "started" rolling out yesterday and is continuing to do so.

How correct that is I don't know but thats what I was told.  I also spoke with Samsung last week who contacted o2 about this and they confirmed that update would be out today (Tuesday).

Still waiting though!

Alan

Message 51 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
Take it back. That app works. Hadn't seen the tests button in the bottom right. It wasn't there before!
Message 52 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well talk about being proved wrong. That app does work. Screen shots and instructions when I get to work.
Message 53 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right

After installing the app, click on Test in the bottom right corner

Screenshot_2013-09-04-04-49-02.png

Then click Device Information and scroll down, if you click the first drop down box you will get

Screenshot_2013-09-04-04-49-15.png

Select LTE and away you go

Screenshot_2013-09-04-08-19-38.png

Hope this helps.

Message 54 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like the issue simply is that once the phone detects an O2 UK SIM, it thinks 4G is not an option and thus does not offer the setting.

Can you use the app to activate LTE and then uninstall it or does it need to remain on the phone for 4G to work?
Message 55 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Looks like the issue simply is that once the phone detects an O2 UK SIM, it thinks 4G is not an option and thus does not offer the setting.

Can you use the app to activate LTE and then uninstall it or does it need to remain on the phone for 4G to work?

I am not sure, the 4G reception is poor in my area and I cant pick up a 4G signal long enough to then uninstall the app.

Message 56 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys the update for the mini and I'm guessing the s4 regular is out now. I am downloading it as we speak via the Samsung Kies Application on my mac. http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP

Will update this post if it all works

UPDATE

Yes it works..attached screenshot and now in the mobile settings it connects and shows the LTE option that was missing. For me the firmware is now i9195XXUAMH2 (Samsung S4 MINI boughtsim free from Carphone Warehouse) My sources have heard that the Samsung Mega should be available at the end of the week. As for the regular S4 I am guessing it is the same as the mini and available now either OTA or via the Kies Software. I got a strange message when trying the OTA saying maximum attempts had been used so though I would try using the Kies instead. Hope this works for you.

Rob

Screenshot_2013-09-04-10-33-16.png

Message 57 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will graciously accept your apologies and kudos regarding that app. I was not online too see the continuing thread or post screenshots of it working or explain . I have also been out and about Using the sensorly App to see how good coverage and signal is around London

Check it out.   I hope you other posters participate .

Message 58 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still no sign of Up date

Message 59 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

While I did get it to work yesterday and appreciate your advice it did come over like you were plugging the appand had a vested interest in it. If I am wrong I am sorry but like I said yesterday the update from o2/Samsung was going to come out soon and it is now live and to avoid any risk of malware I prefer using the official way of changing my device. That's just my view and not a slight at you.

Rob

Message 60 of 117