cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G on my S4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, a 4G tarrif and am in a 4G area. However, I have no 4G signal and on my S4 I have no option to select 4G. Am I missing something?

Kam

Message 1 of 117
116 REPLIES 116

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Perksie slight_smile
Message 41 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

The app does work. I have a tariff only monthly 4G sim and an unbranded SG4. All you have to do is to:

Go tests/device info, scroll down and set preferred network type to LTE/GSM.

sgs415.jpg

As soon as I did this and restarted I had 4G.

Anyone asking for references to this app to be removed is being extremely foolish as this is a working solution for some.

Message 42 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great works for you and not me. I'm happy to wait for the official update and not plug my own business.

Message 43 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent ages on the phone / web chat / in store with O2 tech support yesterday. They were all friendly enough, but what a shambles the tech team are. Ended up being fobbed off from one team to another repeatedly.

O2 are aware of a general problem with S4's, even some of the devices supplied directly by O2 themselves (like mine). See http://www.o2.co.uk/samsung-software for details.

Apparently, you need baseband version 19505XXUDMH8 or 19505XXUBMF8 to use 4G. If your S4 device has the O2 logo, then you will be able to download one of these versions using Samsung Kies.

If, like me, your baseband version is I9505XXUBMGA, and you have no O2 logo on your screen then you're out of luck. Even if the phone was supplied by O2 themselves. You're stuck on 3G and you'll need to wait for either O2 or Samsung to get their act together and make the software update available to your device.

To check your version: From the home screen, menu, settings, more, about device.

It looks like this information hasn't yet been made available to O2's tech support staff. If you call them, be prepared for a long and frustrating waste of time for both you and them.

I'd hate to be working on the O2 tech support team right now. Nothing like having a call queue full of frustrated customers and your employer not sharing all the facts with you.

Message 44 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you sure you do not also have the LTE options in Settings->Connections->More networks->Mobile networks->Network mode?

There seems to be 4G-capable S4s out there with LTE disabled by default and all you have to do is go there and enable it.

When I tried the app, I did not have the option you show in your screen shot.
Message 45 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I spent ages on the phone / web chat / in store with O2 tech support yesterday. They were all friendly enough, but what a shambles the tech team are. Ended up being fobbed off from one team to another repeatedly.

O2 are aware of a general problem with S4's, even some of the devices supplied directly by O2 themselves (like mine). See http://www.o2.co.uk/samsung-software for details.

Apparently, you need baseband version 19505XXUDMH8 or 19505XXUBMF8 to use 4G. If your S4 device has the O2 logo, then you will be able to download one of these versions using Samsung Kies.

If, like me, your baseband version is I9505XXUBMGA, and you have no O2 logo on your screen then you're out of luck. Even if the phone was supplied by O2 themselves. You're stuck on 3G and you'll need to wait for either O2 or Samsung to get their act together and make the software update available to your device.

To check your version: From the home screen, menu, settings, more, about device.

It looks like this information hasn't yet been made available to O2's tech support staff. If you call them, be prepared for a long and frustrating waste of time for both you and them.

I'd hate to be working on the O2 tech support team right now. Nothing like having a call queue full of frustrated customers and your employer not sharing all the facts with you.

Good post.

Hopefully if factually correct you will have brought much clarification to this situation.

Have Samsung pushed out any kind of explanation themselves ?

I've looked but cant find anything..

Message 46 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the update and glad O2 have added this link.
My samsung s4 mini was bought sim free from Carphone Warehouse. All their samsungs are sim free and not tied to any network hence why those models aren't 4g ready with up to date firmware for O2. They do work on Vodafone 4G as that network option of lte is their but not for O2 as yet. For the mini the base band needs to end with a 2 and I have a 1 hence working on Vodafone but not my main number on O2. I can't say too much more but the top dogs at head office are working really hard to work with Samsung to get the firmware patch released. I have to admit I was very frustrated about why mine wasn't working and being fobbed off a bit by customer service and told to go back to CPW. However without saying to much because of my conversion last Friday with the higher echelons it will be sorted and I asked for a link to be added to the O2 site to make other users aware of this which has now been added. Now am just going to wait for the forthcoming update.(the baseband should end with MH2 but mine is MH1 on the Samsung s4 mini from CPW. Hope that sheds a tiny ray of light for us all. Happy checking until then! Rob
Message 47 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
Right.
Emailed Samsung. No response
Called Samsung - they said they don't know of an update
Tweeted Samsung - said it's not with them it's with o2

Chatted with o2 online - they said I don't have the right software and waiting for Samsung
Called o2 - they said Samsung are slow rolling out the update they had hoped for
Tweeted o2 - no response

So basically, no one knows what's going on and its someone else's fault!
Thanks to both the informative posts above
Message 48 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cannot say I am surprised that neither O2 nor Samsung support are any help in this respect. 😞

Perhaps worth talking to the media about this? Shame Watchdog is not on at the moment.
Message 49 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't work for o2 or Samsung but do work for a national mobile phone retailer. While I agree it is extremely frustrating…I want 4G now too there is some responsibility needed too from the other high street retailers. With the exception of the iPhone all other handsets be it sim free or on a contract our bought in shed loads so that their isn't a separate phone for each network. The advantage is great as they will work on all networks but the downside is they don't always have the right network firmware on them as they are bought direct from the manufacturer not the network hence the problems we are facing. I have on good authority it will be sorted very soon..lots of people buy from other outlets than o2 and samsung's are pretty popular. I think that at least o2 tech's from now on are mostly aware of the issue. Sorry if this comes across as defensive as it's not meant to Jen. Am checking every hour and as soon as I see an update I will post it here and as an insomniac it may even be during the night too! Rob
Message 50 of 117