cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G on my S4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, a 4G tarrif and am in a 4G area. However, I have no 4G signal and on my S4 I have no option to select 4G. Am I missing something?

Kam

Message 1 of 117
116 REPLIES 116

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does work, thank you so much!
Message 11 of 117

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

The issue i have is that o2 KNEW about it before offering me a contract on a phone they KNEW (as I told them) i hadnt bought from o2.

No the problem is yours, O2 have no responsibility for any phone not supplied by them.

With a sim only contract you're on your own as regards the phone.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 117

lenfish
  • 23 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

No the problem is yours, O2 have no responsibility for any phone not supplied by them.

With a sim only contract you're on your own as regards the phone.

Buyer beware and all that, but as o2 appear to have been given the information that this was a non-o2 supplied phone, then they have effectively (knowingly?) sold a product which, at present, is of no use to the purchaser.

Although probably not deliberate, it does not look good for a reputable company like o2.

Len

Message 13 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
What can be said has been and explained to the best of our ability.

02 sells services and its own products it has a duty of care for.

Samsung sell products sim free , unlocked and push out updates for said product.

The issue should be soon resolved with the imminent patch update from Samsung.
Message 14 of 117

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@lenfish wrote:

Buyer beware and all that, but as o2 appear to have been given the information that this was a non-o2 supplied phone, then they have effectively (knowingly?) sold a product which, at present, is of no use to the purchaser.

Although probably not deliberate, it does not look good for a reputable company like o2.

Len

No that isn't so there may have been some confusion over what was said, but as the order was for a working sim only they have no other liability.

Whatever you say to them you could buy any phone and then blame O2 because it doesn't work.

Life isn't like that.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 15 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

My opinion is that this is not right. Its not simply a matter of semantics (and to be honest, the issue is not so overwhelming for me that I am contemplating suicide or taking o2 to court). Its just a matter of correctness & professionalism.

They have sold a sim card because of its 4G capabilities. Not because it simply works as a sim card to send and received calls/texts. 

The phone I have in its current state (which I made clear to them on the phone "I didnt buy the phone from O2, but it is the samsung S4 which is capable of 4G") is not capable of using the capabilities they advertised at point of sale (i.e. the whole premise of the upgrade was its 4G). Therefore, they have missold a service, especially since they (collectively, perhaps NOT the operative who sold me the contract) knew only phones bought FROM O2 will work straight off the bat.

Think some of you are massively obssessed with O2 to concede they are in the wrong here. I myself like O2, have been with them for many years for a few reasons. But for someone in London, I actually think Vodafone are better value since they give spotify for free (which is a yearly saving of £120 if you pay for premium now). However my contract wasnt up yet, and I wanted 4G, so I bit the bullet with o2 - without buying out the rest of my contract.

Message 16 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

Samsung informed me yesterday that the patch would be released by O2 at some point today (03 September).

Has anyone received this yet.

Message 17 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
About time too s4activeuser !
Message 18 of 117

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

My opinion is that this is not right. Its not simply a matter of semantics (and to be honest, the issue is not so overwhelming for me that I am contemplating suicide or taking o2 to court). Its just a matter of correctness & professionalism.

Exactly your problem is with the seller of the phone or the maker as the S4 is a 4G phone.

The only obligation from O2 was to provide you with a sim card that works, and that they have done.

Nobody is taking sides here, we are only responding to the facts you have presented.

Message 19 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

For what its worth, I called samsung support and they said they dont have any updates due for the samsung s4. Having said that they guy seemed quite thick:

"The only updates we supply are from google. Thats the latest software we have"

"yes, but this is firmware for my handset that only Samsung can provide to give me access to O2's 4G network in the UK"

"Download Kies and check if there are any updates"

"I have done that, and checked over the air on my phone"

"then we have no more updates for the S4"

Thanks Samsung support team....

Message 20 of 117