cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play Store not working on WIFI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the Marshmallow update neither my wifes or my Samsung Galaxy A3 Play Store works on WIFI. Its fine on Mobile Data but on WIFI gives a connection timed out error.

We have tried the clearing cache, data etc. I even rest my phone back to factory default and still the same.

I went to a friends house and using their WIFI the Play Store worked so it must be something to do with my WIFI setup.

My router was failrly old so I have replaced with a new Netgear WIFI router - better speed and coverage and occasionally the Play Store has worked on WIFI on my phone but not the wifes.

Has anyone any clues, help, etc. as I cannot keep using my mobile data to update the phone or get new apps and using someone elses WIFI is not an answer.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123177 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I will ask two of our members @MI5 or @viridis if they have any ideas about this as I can't help?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 32

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Not a clue if all those resets still have the issue.
Make sure time and date set to auto update on the phones setting, make sure all WiFi networks stored on the phones are removed leaving none with "saved" next to them
Factory reset router.
Try connecting again.
Thats all I can think of tbh
Message 3 of 32

MI5
  • 144753 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

Temporarily turn off your routers security and firewall.

One or the other is blocking it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried taking security off - still the same - and there are no firewall rules I change on the router its all as per Netgear defaults.

I did note a general Netgear Playstore issue - see - https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/Cannot-download-andriod-apps-from-Google-Play/... - so I have posted to the netgear community as well.

It was all ok before Marshmallow - and a new router - NETGEAR D6000-100UKS AC750 - should work.

All very confusing..

Message 5 of 32

MI5
  • 144753 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
I'm sure it will be something like that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have disussed the issue with Samsung and Netgear today.

Samsung get the chocolate teapot award, all they suggested was a factory reset, or go to a Samsung site and get the phone reinstalled (as it was a bug they said)  - well seeing as I have already done a factory reset and my wifes phone also has the same issue I do not think this is the solution.

I also asked if I could revert to Lollipop version but they said it was not possible (is this true) as they stated it was a bug I asked when it would be fixed but they wuld not give me a date, for this they said contact O2 I think that would go full circle...

Netgear where more positive, they have escalated the issue within their support teams and should get back to me in a few days.

So awaiting Netgear response, anyone else have a similar issue or any clues, help etc. that I could pass onto Netgear, Samsung or O2?

Message 7 of 32

MI5
  • 144753 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
As I've already said, it's almost certain to be a router issue (setting) that needs adjusting. It's just a case of which one.
I had a similar problem in the past which changing security settings fixed it, but it was so long ago I can't remember the details now.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 32

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I can't see it being anything other than restrictions on the router but it's strange 2 phones and 2 routers with the same issue.

Message 9 of 32

MI5
  • 144753 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
Which could actually indicate an ISP restriction.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 32