Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to a sim only deal and the signal is now terrible

JB-2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had 2 mobile phone upgrades with 02 in the past 5 year's, as I'm happy with my device, I upgraded to a sim only deal and the service has been absolutely shocking. I can't hear a word anyone is saying now and as I'm extremely unwell and have a lot of hospital and Doctors calling, it's making my life impossible. I feel this is a way to get me to upgrade my device when it works absolutely fine using an EE sim card. I want out of this contract on the grounds that the service I've received is not what I was told it would be, I have only just updated within the last few weeks. Please can anyone help me to do something about this? Or do you know how I contact a human about this? Any help greatly appreciated.. 

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10282 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@JB-2 

Changing tariff has no impact on signal strength, not sure why you think it would.  And EE is a totally seperate Network, with seperate Masts and infrastructure, so EE signal has naff all to with o2 signal .. Nor is it a way to get you to upgrade to a new phone..

Have a look at https://status.o2.co.uk 

And these guides Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 
Guide: Is the network down for me or everyone? 

Nor can you get out of the contract, you will have to pay off any termination fees Guide: Cancelling Your Contract  

There is a link to how to contact o2 on every page at the bottom "Contact Us"  or call 202 from your o2 phone or 0344 809 0202 from any other phone..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 11

JB-2
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have contacted 02 who said I might be reimbursed due to me not receiving the contract I was offered with all of the issue's, I had no issues before I updated my sim only?? I can't hear what people are saying it's screeching and making odd noises. I was told it would be resolved within 5 day's and yet I've heard nothing, I reported this issue not long after upgrading. My signal is constantly dropping and they keep saying their is no issue's with the signal strength.

I will take the advice and continue with the complaints procedure. I was told I would be reimbursed for not receiving the service and a solution would be made?? Still waiting and it was July when I took the sim only deal 

Message 3 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23204 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3690 Solutions

@JB-2 Don't believe anything you've been told. It's a very easy way for an incompetent customer service rep to get you off the call.

You can lodge a formal complaint here: How to Complain | Help | O2

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 11

JB-2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, I shall do that then as this service is a joke. People are saying that only upgrading my sim wouldn't be the issue but it's funny how when you don't want a phone and sim contract the service is non existent, I'm pretty sure they can do thing's to your contract by sim to make you commit to something more expensive, if their masts are all fine like they keep saying, then why has my signal disappeared?

I don't trust half of these phone companies, this happens all the time. Thank you for your reply and I shall look at the link you've given me, many thanks slight_smile 

Message 5 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10282 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@JB-2 

They can change your network priority, but never heard of any network doing this to Sim Only contracts

What happens if you put the sim in a different phone? As it could be a phone issue, have you tried a replacement sim card, just in case.... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 11

JB-2
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've called them twice already and they still haven't got back to me in 5 day's, I told her I'd be happy to keep a payg sim as a compromise and so I can keep the same number, I was told that I would be reimbursed for the contract on the grounds that I've not received the service, they say their masts are fine but my signal strength dropped straight after upgrading to sim only. I'm pretty sure they will be able to mess with your sim. Every time it comes to upgrading broadband or mobile phones, this happens?? Coincidence... I think not! My phone takes 2 sims and EE have been absolutely fine. I've always had 2 sims in this device. I will go through the complaints procedure but after 8 years with 02, I think it's odd that it has only happened when I don't want to upgrade my device. I went through carphone warehouse to start with before upgrading directly through 02.. Thanks for your help, I'll try those but I remain skeptical about the service and the help or lack of it I'll receive. 

Message 7 of 11

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6306 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@JB-2 

You have a suggestion there from @madasaf1sh that you get a replacement SIM, just in case your SIM is at fault. It probably seems unlikely, but you do need to try to eliminate different possibilities. 

You can easily get a replacement SIM by visiting an O2 retail store with photographic ID :-

Store locator | O2 UK | Find Your Nearest O2 Store

https://stores.o2.co.uk/

Please update us with how you get on. 

Message 8 of 11

JB-2
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My phone takes 2 sim cards and the other sim card works fine so how can it be the phone, I've even changed the sim cards around in the device and it's still showing no signal yet my EE sim works fine in both sim trays in the device?? so there's obviously no issue with the phone. Haven't heard back off 02 either so I'll be making a complaint and going through the whole complaints procedure. I personally think my compromise request was a fair resolution so I could keep the number and not have to mess around changing it all. Thanks anyways 

Message 9 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23204 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3690 Solutions

@JB-2 As said in an earlier post from @madasaf1sh, EE is a different network and uses a different mast, so switching sim trays in your phone would make no difference to the signal from EE. What you haven't mentioned in any of your posts is whether you've asked O2 for a new sim to replace your current one. A new sim may be all that's needed to resolve your issue, which has also been suggested by @Oxonian . O2 will send you a new sim and you can do a swap yourself: SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim) - O2 Community or if you're not comfortable doing that, call into an O2 store bringing photo ID with you and they'll do the swap for you. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 11