Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max & iPhone XR Megathread

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

We're pleased to confirm Apple’s latest products, the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max have now launched and are available to purchase from today, Friday 21 September. Customers will be able to pre-order the iPhone XR beginning Friday 19 October, and launching on Friday 26 October.

If you'd like to get your hands on one of these beauties, click the appropriate link below to order online, or alternatively you can call our customer services, or visiting us in-store.

Links for Pay Monthly customers
iPhone Xs
iPhone Xs Max
iPhone XR
iphone_Xs_64gb_gold_sku_header.png
iphone_xs_max_gold_sku_header.png
iphone-xr-64gb-black-sku-header.png
Links for Business customers
iPhone Xs
iPhone Xs Max
iPhone XR

Watch the new iPhone in action, with some highlight features above

Questions?

With what is undoubtedly one of the most anticipated device launches of the year, we suspect many of you will have questions. Check out our extensive Q&A section immediately under this post which we hope will answer any questions you have. We will add more Q&A's over time but if you've got a question not listed, please feel free to reply to this thread and let us know.

Related community discussions

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 461
460 REPLIES 460

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thought the pre orders started at 8.01 & not before? The check out page may be congested with so many people trying to pre order the new iPhone
Message 71 of 461

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thought the pre orders started at 8.01 & not before? The check out page may be congested with so many people trying to pre order the new iPhone

Two people on here ordered theirs at 7.30am @Anonymous so it opened early ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 72 of 461

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Two people on here ordered theirs at 7.30am @Anonymous so it opened early ....

Then they were very lucky people 

Message 73 of 461

SteveM3CP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

iPhone XS Max 64GB Space Grey, order confirmed 7:50am. Very slow to process and every page kept freezing but got there in the end.

Message 74 of 461

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Trapdoor wrote:

< snip > 

So as far as I can see then, when I get my new Xs on the Apple Upgrade plan, so long as another carrier (say EE) can provision to an eSim, O2 saying it isn’t supported until 2019 H1 is irrelevant.

Perhaps @Chris_K can clarify that question, but your thinking would seem to be correct.

One of the advantages of having a dual sim phone with eSim technology, is the ability to travel abroad, and use local networks without needing to acquire another SIM card. But as the technology is still in its infancy, not all carriers will support that technology just yet. 

Perhaps the advice about O2 not supporting eSim technology refers to the cellular plan, rather than the supplied handset. In which case, it shouldn’t matter where you buy the handset (providing it’s unlocked of course). 

Edit: to add clarification. 

Message 75 of 461

mikef7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I managed to order early too through the O2 app. Confirmed at 7:45.

Message 76 of 461

Grandad
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

One of the advantages of having a dual sim phone with eSim technology, is the ability to travel abroad, and use local networks without needing to acquire another SIM card. But as the technology is still in its infancy, not all carriers will support that technology just yet. 

This is the very reason I bought an XS this morning, I've had enough of travelling with 2 phones (O2 online store may have been open early and had problems, but Apple Store opened at 8:10; a bit later but no train smash, and I was done and ordered with cases etc in 3 min flat).

With the travelling I do mainly in Africa, I think it will (for now) be high expectations to arrive at the border and get them to provision a pre-pay day data pack on an eSIM - it will be much more predictable to use the eSIM for your home network (O2?), and the SIM tray for your overseas network. I most often arrive at a land border, which doesn't have the same infrastructure as an international airport. Time will tell how that will work in practice, but I expect the CDMA limitation won't affect getting a local SIM on a pre-pay 4G data plan.

Message 77 of 461

Grandad
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, so I found this page on the UK O2 website about eSIMs:

https://www.o2.co.uk/business/iot/connectivity/esim

Seemingly only IoT and business, but I contacted them anyway. Their reply:

Hi Grandad,

Thank you for your email yesterday regarding eSIM in the iPhone XS, I understand you are excited about the new dual SIM capabilities! I would recommend contacting our customer services team (0344 809 0202) , they should be able to assist you in getting your current contract to eSIM.

Kind regards,

Luc

I doubt very much I am going to subject myself to the queueing to talk to a 1st line customer service rep who doesn't have a piece of paper to read a reply from about eSIM, I'll just keep an eye on this thread, and hope something happens before I'm forced to move to EE.

Message 78 of 461

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Grandad wrote:

With the travelling I do mainly in Africa, I think it will (for now) be high expectations to arrive at the border and get them to provision a pre-pay day data pack on an eSIM - it will be much more predictable to use the eSIM for your home network (O2?), and the SIM tray for your overseas network. 

The benefits of an esim just became clear, right there.

Message 79 of 461

Grandad
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Grandad wrote:

With the travelling I do mainly in Africa, I think it will (for now) be high expectations to arrive at the border and get them to provision a pre-pay day data pack on an eSIM - it will be much more predictable to use the eSIM for your home network (O2?), and the SIM tray for your overseas network. 

The benefits of an esim just became clear, right there.

Yes, very much the benefits of O2 supporting eSIM, so customers can go and play nicely with others. If you check out the providers who do support eSIM https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209096 you'll see the majority are in EU, with only USA, Canada and India as 'international' providers. We don't really need a second network to roam around EU (at least until Brexit), so getting a service from the other EU providers on your eSIM isn't highly likely unless your home network is somewhere else in the world.

Every single network provider in the world provides physical SIM cards, but only a few so far support eSIM. The approach must be to provision the eSIM for your 'main' connection wherever possible, and use physical SIM cards everywhere else.

If I had the choice of one of the China market iPhones with a dual SIM tray (2 physical SIM cards and no eSIM), I would have probably just gone for that instead. But the hardware is what it is, and Apple sell it as such because there is a provider in the market that supports the hardware. It just means O2 customers will either have to wait for O2 to support eSIM, or move to EE.

Obviously the other big draw for O2 is the ability to then offer customers in UK 2 contracts / numbers - one work and one personal. I see a huge market for that!

Message 80 of 461