Did you mean: 

TU Go is closing 30th November

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

We see some of you have already spotted this but we wanted to confirm that the TU Go app & service will be ending on 30th November. We’ll be notifying all customers that have the TU Go app about this from today, Tuesday 17th October, through to Friday 20th October.

While TU Go is ending, we’re continuing to offer alternative calling options for our customers. More information can be found here. As VoWifi (Voice over Wifi, part of our Wifi and 4G calling capabilities) continues to develop, we’re working with our vendors to expand the selection of handsets that we offer with Wifi and 4G calling capabilities. A full list of currently supported devices can be found here, where we will also add future devices when they’re available.

If the device you’re currently using doesn’t support Wifi and 4G calling, you can check the My O2 app or get in touch with our customer service team (202 from an O2 Pay Monthly mobile, 8002 from O2 Business mobile) to see what upgrade options are available to you.

We recommend that all TU Go users make copies of any stored messages or images that they have saved on the TU Go app, as the app won’t be accessible from 1 December.

A thank you
We know that some of our O2 Community members helped test the TU Go app during beta trials and provided varied and fantastic feedback which helped our team shape the app, add new features and fix any bugs. We hope you’ve enjoyed using TU Go, and again want to thank anyone from the O2 Community that helped us.

More information on the closure of TU Go can be found here: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 4 of 1,062
1,061 REPLIES 1,061

Cleoriff
  • 125601 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@AnonymousI understand your anger. However, have you tried via the complaint route. MANY customers are being offered boost boxes to increase their signal strength https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain  Use Resolver in the link I have given...As a customer like yourself I can't guarantee anything but it has worked for a lot of people... Best of luck.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 731 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well today's the day and still nothing has happened. Nothing has been done to rectify the issue, no advancement to get more existing handsets "on the wing", (as we used to say in the aerospace industry), compatible with the proposed alternative/replacement system.  No apologies either. 

Did a bit more research yesterday.  No further forward it would seem.

I went into the O2 shop in Bangor, N.Wales and spoke to two members of staff.  They were both of the opinion that O2 were wrong to do this to their customers and that the reaction was that they expected to lose loads of customers because of this issue.

The one guy, who is a Guru, said that he was in the same situation, with a poor to non-existent network signal at home and dreading losing TuGO.  So they aren't even bothered about their own staff although I suppose it's easy to "give" them a phone just like that!

WHY AREN'T O2 LISTENING? 

WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?

ARE YOU STUPID OR SOMETHING?

WHY AREN'T YOU EVEN LISTENING TO YOUR FRONTLINE STAFF?

WHY DO YOU INTENTIONALLY WANT TO LOSE CUSTOMERS?

The reasons are fairly obvious, because after making a call to Customer Services (CS) on 0344 809 0202 (free by the way off a landline), all I could really get was that it was a marketing decision.

So its all about selling new phones and maximising profits.  Never mind if the phone you have is less than two years old and working admirably and still paying for it, your are going to be held to ransom to buy another one, whether you like it or not.

Sales & Marketing staff and accountants - I detest them!  They drive companies in their own direction and also, inevitably drive them into the ground.  Well done!

It didn't matter what I said about being a pensioner.  It didn't matter about me telling them that I had recently had heart surgery.  It didn't matter about me repeating myself for the umpteenth time that the network signal in my home vicinity is appalling to non-existent.  It didn't matter that I told them I had to be able to make and receive calls 24 hours a day without having to move my location to gain signal strength.

O2 COULDN'T GIVE A MONKEY'S ABOUT THEIR EXISTING CUSTOMERS AND THAT IS ABOUT THE TOP AND TAIL OF IT!

The agent at CS started rambling on about some new system that was being rolled out to allow voice over internet (VOI) via wifi.  I said yeh, yeh, yeh.  I know - but tell me how many handsets are compatible?  She started to say hang on, I'll find out and I said don't bother here they are:

• iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE
  • Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, Note8, S7, S7 edge and J3 2017
  • Sony Xperia XZ Premium, Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact

As luck would have it, I have a Sony Xperia Z5 Compact and I'm 18 months into contract.  Whoopee Doo, it's not on the list!

I asked why, after phoning sometime ago, when the announcement to drop TuGO was made, that headway on the promise to include more handsets hadn't even been attempted.  The list on the website remains as it was when it was first posted ages ago.

No reasons given whatsoever.

So no proactive action and no reactive action either.  One has to wonder where the hell O2 are coming from.

I stated that I was firmly of the belief that O2 have absolutely no intention of fulfilling this empty promise and that they are blatant liars.  Until they open up and start coming clean, I can't be of any other opinion.

I am supposedly going to receive a statement on paper in the post regarding the status of the situation in the next five working days.  That's what the agent stated anyway.  I wait with baited breath and hope to god I don't have another heart scare in the meantime, because if I do, I will hold O2 responsible for any consequences.  They are wrong to drop the TuGo facility before fully availing anything that they propose to take it's place - both ethically and morally.

My case is quite extreme.  There are of course other reasons for needing TuGo in my area.  When Internet banking or similar, where codes have to be sent via SMS, to activate certain aspects of the transactions being made, they can only be received if I have a VOI facility.  This is only an example.  I'm sure others can think of more.  This situation has the potential to cripple me.

I am dreading going on my walking holidays next year.  I tend to go to one of three places in the Yorkshire Dales and rent cottages in far flung villages.  There aren't any landlines, but amazingly they all have wifi and the broadband connection is usually superb so I rely on it for my mobile phone to be in contact not only for myself and my health situation, but also so that I am in connection with the Care Line services that serve my aging mother in her warden controlled accomodation back home.  I don't have to explain that further - I'm betting I'm not the only one in this situation.

When I get the letter I will post the contents and let you all know what O2 have to say.

In the meantime, I have approached EE which I am told is the best option.  I am going to research this further as I do not want to jump from the frying pan to the fire.  My specification will be:

• I have a fully paid for Sony Xperia Z5 Compact (that I fully expect O2 to unlock - the reason I want to change is their fault, not mine)
  • I have no wish to buy another phone, the phone I have is more than adequate
  • I need a facility whereby I can use wifi as an option when the network signal is poor
  • My needs are simple - 250 minutes talk, free texts and 1GB data - that is ample and what I have been getting for the last 18 months with O2 and I don't use it all!
  • I don't want to be paying more than a tenner a month, (EE quoted £9.99).

Is it going to happen?

Message 732 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to complain, do it in the strongest possible way you can.

Here is the number:

0344 809 0202

I was told use options 2 and 4, but it may have changed.

Its a free call, so don't be worried about being put on hold, they are paying for it.

This is important.

Message 733 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleorift

A boost box is all very well and yes, it would probably work at home.  But I doubt very much if a network booster would work in areas the Yorkshire Dales such as Dent in Dentdale where there is absolutely no network signal of any description, EE, Vodaphone, 3, you name it, it ain't there and likely never will be because of environmental hurdles.

Any way, isn't this alternative a bit of a cop out.  We go from a simple app which works perfectly with existing equipment to having cart extra bits and pieces with you everywhere you go when all you really needed was your phone, headphones and possibly a charger.

Don't try and fix what ain't broke.  

Message 734 of 1,062

Cleoriff
  • 125601 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@Anonymous  I am a customer like yourself and have used TuGo since it started. So I will miss it as much as anyone. No a boost box wont have any effect when you are on your walking holidays. However I wasnt informed of that in your first post.

You may be better off changing networks. Both EE and Three offer WiFi calling with texts. Check out their websites and see what you think. Meanwhile I wish you the very best of luck with your future choices. (PS some customers after complainiing via the official route).....have been given the option to leave their contract without penalty. Something else for you to consider...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 735 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is anybody else left completely stuck with a phone that doesn't take wifi calls and used O2 Tu Go all the time. I haven't paid off device yet and am incredibly fed up and stuck with a phone and supplier. Who at O2 decided it was a good idea to shut the app down??

Message 736 of 1,062

Cleoriff
  • 125601 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@AnonymousI would suggest you complain.https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Some people are being offered boost boxes, whilst a few others are being allowed to leave without penalty so they can move to another network (Such as Three or EE who do offer WiFi calling and texting on more devices.).

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 737 of 1,062

jezza1234
  • 341 Posts
  • 25 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Have you looked at making calls over whats App/Skype. OK you people you need to call would need to be connected to you in these apps but its a part solution.

Message 738 of 1,062

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148718 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@jezza1234 wrote:

Have you looked at making calls over whats App/Skype. OK you people you need to call would need to be connected to you in these apps but its a part solution.

A very small part solution.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 739 of 1,062

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeh, I have used pretty well all the contact routes, including the official one I think.

I have several "chat" transcripts too.

I suppose I can complain again but I really don't want to put myself under anymore stress, which probably caused my heart attack in the first place.

I'll have to have a look at 3.  I have talked to EE already, but there may be a compatibility problem with my model of phone.

Life is never simple and some people just feel the need to complicate it.

Message 740 of 1,062