Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS – An Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

A final reminder for all our Samsung Messaging customers! 

Our Rich Communication Messaging Service (RCS) is moving to Google, so please ensure you follow one of these sets of instructions to prevent you from losing your Rich Communication Service. To retain your Samsung Messaging App:

1. Ensure your device software is completely up to date (Go to Settings > tap Software update >Tap Download and install)
  2. Then check for a ‘Configuration Update’ in your notifications.
  3. Install the ‘Configuration Update’ from Samsung
  4. Restart your device
  5. Check your ‘Chat Settings’ are active
  6. Open up your Samsung Messaging Application
  7. Accept the Google’s terms and conditions presented

OR

You can change your Samsung Messaging App to the Google Messaging App:

1. Download the ‘Messages by Google’ app from the Google Play Store: play.google.com/store/apps
  2. Open the App
  3. Accept the Google Terms and Conditions presented

If you do not do either of the above, then you do risk losing your Rich messaging service and all messages will revert to SMS or MMS only. For further information: https://support.google.com/messages/answer/7189714?hl=en-GB

What is RCS?

RCS (Rich Communication Services) is a messaging technology for Android that works very similarly to how iMessage does on iPhone, or even WhatsApp. Using your native messaging app (e.g., Messages on Samsung devices or Messages on Google and other Android devices), you can do things like share photos & videos, your location, voice notes and more – which essentially sends those via your data network without touching your allowance or charging you for an MMS. And because RCS uses your native messaging app, if you’re not connected to a data network or WiFi, then it’ll fall back to standard SMS/MMS messaging until you regain a data connection; something that WhatsApp can’t do for example as that needs a data connection to send any kind of message.

What’s happening?

We’re closing down our RCS platform and migrating all existing RCS users across to Google’s own RCS platform called Jibe. Jibe will provide the RCS service for Virgin Media O2 for all Google and Samsung messaging applications in the future.

Google Jibe is already used by other UK mobile networks and the reason we’re doing this is because Google have plans for their RCS service to make it even better than it is currently, and with all UK networks using a single shared platform, the service can be developed at speed which will give customers a better service, sooner. We’re unable to do the same thing with our own RCS platform and so this is an easy decision for us as it’ll result in a better experience for our RCS users in the future.

What will you need to do, and when?

Please follow the instructions above, which will allow us to migrate you across to Google Jibe, you’ll need to accept Google’s T&C’s to continue using RCS technology.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35950 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

Well explained - and the dates too, thanks @Chris_K. What could possibly go wrong? 😖😁

Message 2 of 25

Ben4321
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So to summarise, sign Google's T&C to read your messages, or f-off, as we, as a *telecommunications* company don't want to invest in our own RCS *chat* system, when we can just throw money at a search giant instead and get you to risk your data with them instead. Lovely.

Message 3 of 25

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6605 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

@Ben4321 You don't have to use it and some of the big players have already moved over, O2 are behind the curve.

Still you can always protest and move over to Apple, I'm sure they can be trusted 🤔

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 25

Royster
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My RCS has been shut off "not available for this device" But i haven't had a message to be able to accept the Google T&Cs!? does this message come after you're being migrated?F9IQRcMWEAAt0wt.jpg

Message 5 of 25

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6605 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Strange.

The message would appear when Messages first connects to the Google Servers

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 25

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

That means the migration is in process, as my Pixel Fold is showing a similar message.. 

I think o2 are a bit behind..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 25

Royster
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hopefully the message will turn up in the next few days..🤞

Message 8 of 25

Raknor
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got a message 3 weeks ago that my O2 contract was being switched over to Google RCS.  However now my RCS chats have been turned off completely on my device and I am getting a message that my device doesn't support them!  It's a Google Pixel Device!

Why have O2 blocked my Google device from a accessing a Google Service?  So that I have to use MMS and pay O2 for it no doubt.

Message 9 of 25

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Raknor 

It is been done in phases, and until the migration from o2's RCS platform into the Google Jibe platform is complete for your number the service has to be switched off, and it can take upto 5 days, 

My Pixel Fold is doing the same... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 10 of 25