Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Rating Wrongly Damaged Because of O2 Error

Hollie2320
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have fully detailed the timeline of the issue below, but in summary it has been 6 months since O2 made an error effecting my credit rating which they have admitted to multiple times but has still not been resolved. This now means our mortgage is in jeopardy and a genuine worry we could loose our home because of O2s mistake! 

Back in September 2023, I took out a Virgin Media TV and internet “Volt” bundle that included an 02 SIM. Before I had even received the SIM card I cancelled this order within the cooling off period. When speaking to 02 to cancel the SIM, the operator assured me I was within the cooling off period and that I would be due a refund of the first bill that had been prepaid.

A few days later I got an email from 02 confirming that my account had been cancelled but then received further emails saying that a bill of £400 was due. I immediately rang 02 and was assured that this was an error on their part in closing down the account and that no money was owed by me. I considered this matter closed and received no further emails, letters or correspondence of any kind from 02.

In April of 2024, I tried to take out a new phone contract but the sale was rejected due to me failing the credit check. Having had a spotless credit record my entire life, this was a big surprise. I then looked at my credit report and noticed that it had gone from Excellent to Very Poor due to the 02 bill being marked as a default on my account since September 2023.

I immediately rang 02 (on 22nd April) and was told that this was a mistake on their part caused by the initial cancellation not being processed properly and then their new payment system meant that this had been marked as a debt in error. They said they would remove the debt from my credit report but this could take 30-60 days. I rang back over 30  days later (6th June) and was told that 02 had forgotten to submit my case for processing but that it would now be sent for investigation, which takes between 5 and 10 business days, before then being submitted into the 30-60 day credit clearing process. I rang back 10 business days later (24th June) and was told that they were unable to give me any more information due to not being able to access the old payment system and that I needed to ring back on 27th July as this was then they will be getting access to the old system and that all my notes and the result of any investigation would be on that old system.

Any help advice would be appreciated! thank you!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147299 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28305 Solutions

@Hollie2320 

You already have the details of the CFR team on the other threads you have posted on.

They are the only ones who can remove the default.

You need to add a notice of correction to your credit file.

This will put doubt into the validity of the default and the credit agencies will be forced to question O2 about it.

https://help.equifax.co.uk/EquifaxOnlineHelp/s/article/How-can-a-Notice-of-Correction-help-me-manage....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 3

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 7785 Posts
  • 155 Topics
  • 25 Solutions