Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA roaming no signal

Nicky23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm in the US all the time and my phone never works there, despite having the bolt on. I can use internet based stuff on wifi and that's it. The most frustrating thing is I keep getting answerphone messages left that I am unable to access. And I don't know how to turn the answerphone off to stop people leaving messages. Sometimes the phone tries calling the answerphone on it's own and buzzes that it cannot connect the call. My advise... turn off answerphone whilst in the UK - before you leave. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38860 Posts
  • 243 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

@Nicky23 wrote:

I'm in the US all the time and my phone never works there, despite having the bolt on. I can use internet based stuff on wifi and that's it. The most frustrating thing is I keep getting answerphone messages left that I am unable to access. And I don't know how to turn the answerphone off to stop people leaving messages. Sometimes the phone tries calling the answerphone on it's own and buzzes that it cannot connect the call. My advise... turn off answerphone whilst in the UK - before you leave. 

Hi @Nicky23 - yes, for Voicemail, turn it off before you leave the UK: Guide: All you need to know about O2 Voicemail 901 

For USA calls, you will need to follow the guide here, as USA switched off their 3G networks at the end of last year: USA - Roaming with O2 Note that O2 only offer 4G Calling, mentioned in here, on Pay Monthly phones - if you are PAYG (Big Bundle, Rolling Plan or Classic) then your only option is as you mention - wifi where available and Whatsapp or similar, or to purchase a second, local, SIM for when you are in the US which will give you data wherever there is a signal for the SIM you purchase. 

Also try to do a manual search for T-Mobile (it may show up as a"Forbidden" network, but reports here on the Forum indicate it does work, even offering 5G connectivity, if your phone, SIM and account are set up for 5G.  AT&T seems not to work as well for O2 Roaming any more. 

Also note roaming limits, may apply if you "are in the US all the time": Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 5

Nicky23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you! Will give it a try. 

Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24077 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

@Nicky23 Keep in mind that signal strengths for T-Mobile and AT&T vary according to where you are. One isn't necessarily better than the other. It just depends on where their closest mast to you is, and your proximity to it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 8132 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1664 Solutions

My understanding is its 2 mbps now.

Still slow but usable

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 5