Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving texts/calls that aren't mine

PH27
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For the past couple of months, I have received texts and the occasional call from unknown people. These people are texting someone they clearly know (and from the content, I believe this may be a dealer). From the texts, I have learned that these people are in Scotland as addresses were given out. I am in Yorkshire. 

I think someone has somehow cloned my number or something. I cannot see any replies from whoever they are contacting, but i get their texts to them like a one sided conversation. 

I ignore these messages and any calls from numbers outside my contact list. However, some can be quite persistent and demand replies. 

I have spoken to the O2 live chat and they said all I can do is change my number. I've had this number for 15 years and due to my partner being under numerous health services, i do not wish to go through the pain of informing so many people and services of a number change when this is not my fault. 

How can I prevent this occurring other than blocking each and every number when it comes through or changing my number?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144422 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@PH27 

Sim cloning is a thing of movies and would be extremely unlikely to happen in reality.

It's more likely that your number is very similar to the intended number and it's just an error.

Reply to the texts explaining that they have an incorrect number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2