Did you mean: 

Porting: old number disconnected but not transferred

valeriecherish
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

Yesterday I called O2 and asked them to port my number from GiffGaff to O2 PAYG (with a PAC code). I had previously filled in the online form requesting this but seemingly that didn't work.

I was texted to say this would happen today. This morning my old GiffGaff SIM no longer works but the new number hasn't transferred to the O2 SIM, it is using the temporary number sent with the SIM card.

I called O2 customer services and the rep kept repeating that the process takes 24 working hours, she would not answer if it was normal for there to be a gap of a few hours between the old number disconnecting and porting to the new SIM. I had understood that this would only be a few minutes and it has been about 2 hours so far. I do need access to my old number promptly and I am worried I am heading into the weekend, if it hasn't worked for some reason it could be days before it's fixed.

Is this normal / am I over worrying?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146946 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@valeriecherish 

Perfectly normal.

Just keep rebooting your phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146946 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@valeriecherish 

Perfectly normal.

Just keep rebooting your phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 6

valeriecherish
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reassurance. Will I get any clue when it's changed over? The only way I can figure out is to call people and see what number pops up. 

Interestingly my WhatsApp still works under the original number, any idea how that's happening?

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 146946 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@valeriecherish 

Are you using an iPhone?

If so, go to Settings >Phone <My number and edit, save and reboot if not your original number.

All should be good after that.

Message 4 of 6

valeriecherish
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's an Android.

Seems to be working now EXCEPT in the My O2 app which shows the temp number and is unable to show my usage etc, will this take longer to update? Thanks

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 146946 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@valeriecherish 

24 to 48 hours for your MyO2 to update.

Message 6 of 6