Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor signal since switching to O2

archercj
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A few months ago I took out the Volt deal which included an O2 Unlimited SIM. My current contract with Three is just ending so I have arranged to cancel that and use the O2 one in a bid to save some money. I have kept my existing phone which is a Nord OnePlus. I am in the HU18 area and the online checker says the signal is ok for O2 here.

However since switching to O2 I am experiencing a noticeable reduction in coverage in this area from my previous provider, Three.

I am techical and did have a site survey undertaken a year back to find the best provider for data speed as I work from home. It was EE who came out best by a considerable margin and I took out a contract with them for my work coverage linked to a router and aerial. However the site survey also showed that Vodafone, Three and O2 use the same mast (EE have their own seperate one which would suggest why they are so much better)

But I am now frustrated that I have ditched Three for general personal phone usage and am struggling with O2. Has anyone any ideas please?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7192 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1594 Solutions

HU18 is a big area. What does this say?

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage#

Also check for issues

https://status.o2.co.uk/

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 8

archercj
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If I narrow down to my specific postcode it says a green tick (for all providers) for voice, data and enhanced data.

I have run some extensive speed tests using my fixed EE setup (Archer router + directional aerial) and reliable speed test software proof.ovh) and EE gives me between 50-90mbps yest the rest (and I have tries Three and Vodafone as well as O2) test at 6-9mbps.

That speed is ok in a phone for email, Facebook etc but I am getting a lot of network not available with the O2 SIM but Three was very relaible.

Message 3 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10748 Posts
  • 58 Topics
  • 3109 Solutions

o2 share infrastructure with Vodafone via CTIL and have no commercial agreements in place with Three

Did you repoint the aerial to the o2 mast. or is it still pointing to the EE mast...

It could be that the backhaul in Hornsea ( I will assume), via the provider which could be one of a few C&W, VirginMedia Business is not able to operate to the nearest POP at a decent speed or they cant put in dark fibre, where as BT's (EE) fibre will be able to get to their POP and they may have been able to put in some dark fibre, using exisiting conduit's.

Not a lot you can do., I am afraid... and to be honest if working from home I would advise against using mobile data, and use fixed line....

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93392 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6991 Solutions

Hopefully you are within the first 14 days and can cancel

Rather than be stuck in a contract with O2 you can then go to EE

Message 5 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

My experience with Three is, ok when all is normal but customer service is terrible. Their troubleshooting process and communication between each department is abysmal.

O2 in my experience seems to be less problematic. And it's nothing to do with call centre location. I had issues with the three uk who were apparently working from.home.

Quality of service is everything.

If o2 is not giving you satisfactory service st any mast you are using. Then it may be worth resetting your apn settings to ensure it is using the best settings.

If there are problems reported it may be out of their control and duly going to be fixed. Customer support can't magically fix your phone connection but it can advise you workarounds until the issues are fixed.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 6 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Also I might add you may already know more than o2 customer support themselves.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 8

archercj
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks all for your responses.

Yes I pointed the aerial at the nearest O2 mast when testing. And the reson for using mobile data rather than fixed is that I am 'fortunate' to own a static caravan in a rural area next to the sea so it's nice to be able to work from there on occasion.

And sadly the 14 days has well expired now.

My solution was to take out a contract with EE (£30pm!) to use there service which sorts working from 'home' plus streaming out. I suppose I have to live with the O2 thing as I balance dthe additional cost of EE by cancelling my Three contract and using O2.

I was wondering is anyone had any experience of better reception using a different phone to mine (Nord One Plus). Must be android that's all.

Oh and as for customer service. I've come from the dark side - Virgin lol.

Message 8 of 8