Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving txts after porting.

Nicolaw23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have recently ported my number from iD Mobile over 3 weeks ago. Everything seemed to be working fine. Can make and receive calls. Use mobile data and send txt messages. However I cannot receive txt messages. From any number not just a specific number. 

Contacted o2 on phone. Been useless, tried all their trouble shooting. Got a new sim and activated it but still no joy. I then factory reset my phone which has now caused nothing but issues as everything wants to send me a txt to log in and I can't receive the messages.

Any ideas? I'm on a Samsung s23 ultra. 

I've:

reset network settings

Factory reset phone

Got another new sim and activated it 

Manually changed network provider to Vodafone then back to o2.

Checked every setting in relation to messages.

I've even put the sim in another phone, that phone aldo didn't receive any messages so confirms its not the phone.

Help as my phone is useless at the moment and I cant access anything 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10271 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

@Nicolaw23 

You need to persevere with O2, and ask them to pass it to the porting team, to speak to ID Mobile (who will in turn pass it to 3) to fix the sms routing on there side. 

Be aware it can take upto 14days for ID Mobile and o2 to fix the issue from past experience with EE

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 10

Happyduck
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I’m in the same boat here, only difference is that I was migrated to O2 from Virgin and texts came through fine for the first two months before last week.

and as you said, phoning them is completely useless because the call centre has no adequate competency to handle such an issue, who thinks that is a good idea to let customer service troubleshoot a technical issue which in most instance would have been an IT expertise? It’s like having a bus driver fly a plane!

It gets really frustrating as you receive a lot of pushbacks from the confident agents who insist ‘your number is showing no issue from our side’ and insist their ‘troubleshooting’ worked when I had already done them before calling. I had to call the third time where I had a male agent who finally listened and agreed to escalate my case.

If they fail to fix the issue, the last resort is switching out to a new provider, not many people can live without text messages when you’re basically blocked from online shopping and missing update/test results from the NHS.

Message 3 of 10

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36422 Posts
  • 234 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions

@Happyduck - if you were moved to O2 from Virgin, were you sent an O2 branded SIM to replace your VM Virgin SIM?  This has been reported to help - and any O2 Shop can help get your SIM swapped over, just remember to take some photo id with you to the shop. Good luck!

Message 4 of 10

Happyduck
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I am on my O2 SIM card. My virgin SIM card stopped working one day last summer when I was abroad, only to learn from my email inbox I was ‘enrolled’ to O2 and someone ‘ordered’ an O2 SIM card on my behalf, which was quite an unpleasant surprise - it is of course another story.

As per OP and many other users from previous posts, a replacement SIM card will not solve the issue so I would imagine someone that deals with the routing behind my number can hopefully fix it. I’m awaiting a response from the social media team and I’m hoping the third phone agent who escalated would put me through the right person

Message 5 of 10

pgn
  • 36422 Posts
  • 234 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions

There is one other thing that has been reported here as helping to restore normal SMS operation: O2 must de-provision, must remove your account completely and reprovision it after a short time.

This does mean you will lose all connectivity - voice and data too - for a while, so be sure to have a means of communicating with O2 Support that is not the mobile in question. Good luck @Happyduck.

Message 6 of 10

Happyduck
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the heads up! Fine with losing connectivity if the time window is reasonable and they can fix the issue, I just thought whether it is worth mentioning to one of the social media team (who I’ve been messaging with) about the ‘de-provision/re-provision’ thing, or they will come up with this solution themselves.

Message 7 of 10

pgn
  • 36422 Posts
  • 234 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions

A search on the forum shows this can be 24hrs - I guess time for the change to register across O2's network. No harm in asking the guys on the Social Media desk this morning, @Happyduck. Good luck!

Message 8 of 10

Nicolaw23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Pgn are you able to help me with my issue from the original post?

Message 9 of 10

pgn
  • 36422 Posts
  • 234 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions

The standard response for SMS issues is Guide: Text Message Tips (not sent or received) 

And @madasaf1sh has already offered the best advice in his post above, @Nicolaw23 - persist with O2, on  202 or 0344 809 202 (Contract)  4445 or 0344 809 222 (PAYG) or via Social Media at the link just below. If calling, 08:10am is usually a good time to get help with minimum delay. Some of these SMS problems have been reported to sort themselves after 14 days where porting has failed at the first pass and the person has escalated to O2. Good luck!

Message 10 of 10