Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sim, poor signal. Round 2?

Fork-sake
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hiya. I have just received my o2 sim today and it says it is all set up and ready to use. I have been able to make and receive calls etc. However, the signal is on one bar only. 

Is this just because I'm still within the first 24 hours? 

I really hope so. The reason I moved to o2 is due to no signal and service with virgin since the migration. I cant be bothered to go through the same thing again. Thankfully, WiFi calling is staying on so far, and despite lack of signal, I can still make a receive crackly calls. 

Checks in my area show coverage is in good working order. 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Fork-sake 

Have a look on the VM Community lots of people complaing about the how useless the signal is and the feeling is something to do with the dodgy network setup of VM. 

It will be the power output from the mast among otherthings, and contention, as the infrastructure on top is o2's 

You can cancel in your first 14days you just need to contact o2 on 0344 809 0202 or 202

My advice get some payg sim cards and test them across some of the other networks.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Fork-sake 

Just to let you if you migrated on Virgin to the new Vodafone Setup, you are probably been served by a mast in the same location, as o2 and Vodafone share Masts. (not the backhaul etc).

Message 3 of 8

Fork-sake
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks I've just switched to 2g only and it went to full signal then dropped bar by bar to nothing. Its bouncing in and out, its not holding a signal.

As for using masts in the same location. I have never had an issue with my signal at all until the migration. It seems to have knocked many people to no signal/service. So I was really hoping that o2 would be better.

I have a son on Vodafone and he has no issues in this house, which made it seem even more so that the issue lay with virgin.  

If this problem persists over the next few days and I'm no better off with o2, can I cancel my contract? 

Message 4 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Fork-sake 

Have a look on the VM Community lots of people complaing about the how useless the signal is and the feeling is something to do with the dodgy network setup of VM. 

It will be the power output from the mast among otherthings, and contention, as the infrastructure on top is o2's 

You can cancel in your first 14days you just need to contact o2 on 0344 809 0202 or 202

My advice get some payg sim cards and test them across some of the other networks.

Message 5 of 8

Fork-sake
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

@Fork-sake 

@madasaf1sh wrote:

@Fork-sake 

Yeah. I have been on there myself trying to sort out the issue I was having. They don't seem to accept the issue is widespread. Which is why I decided to leave. 

Do you think whatever the issue is, it will settle down once they have finally sorted it out? 

I'll give it a couple of days and if it's no better I'll do what you suggested with the sims. Thanks

Message 6 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

They are blinded to what people have to say, and a lot of there VIP users are actually VM staff in disguise.. 

And we are a lot friendlier as well over here slight_smile

Im not sure, as VM's network setup is weird, and I think there is no interest in it from them. I hope it does... but my VM sim is sat in a phone unused as had to give up an esim, as they didn't understand issues with it 

Message 7 of 8

Fork-sake
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I dont blame you. I definitely won't be going back to virgin mobile. O2 seemed like a great option with me getting an extra 150mbps on my broadband, so I'd rather not have to change again. 

Everything crossed that o2 doesn't fail me too!

Message 8 of 8