Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent signal

Beppe6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, for several years I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S9 with a O2 SIM card on contract.

For a long time (possibly from the start) I've had an intermittent signal (both voice and data) at home (North Oxford).

According to the O2 network coverage checker, there shouldn't be any problem at all in this area with up to G4 (whereas G5 is not active); and every time I checked, the service status page said everything was ok for my postcode.

In practice, quite often (about once a day) if I check the phone by pressing the power button it says "Emergency calls only"; at that point, if I press "Flight Mode" twice (i.e. on/off), the signal returns. Not very strong, but it works... only for a while.

Same thing if I switch the handset off/on (but of course it takes longer).

I'm not an intensive mobile user, but the most annoying thing is that I'm never certain that my phone will have coverage when someone calls. And I can't understand why not. There are no tall buildings or other obstructions, and it happens even when the weather is fine (like today).

What can be done? 

And - as a temporary measure - is there an app that warns you when there is no coverage? The "Emergency only" message only appears on the locked screen when you press the power button, so most of the time I'm not even aware that my phone is disconnected. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Beppe6 See if there's anything in these guides to help you:

How can I sort out my network issues? - o2uk

Why do I have poor coverage indoors? (o2.co.uk)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 11

Beppe6
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino : thanks for the reply.

Having read the guide by adamtemp64 (see above: "Why do I have poor coverage indoors?"), I tried setting the 'phone to G2 for a couple of days, however the problem continued exactly as before. Very annoying.

Any more ideas?

By the way: I don't know who accepted the solution, I certainly did not.

Message 3 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Your phone should work with WiFi calling @Beppe6 (assuming you have WiFi) which would solve the issue with calls not coming through, but texts are a separate issue.

Also check out https://www.opensignal.com/. They are an independant that looks at mobile signals, and use actual data from users who download their app to generate coverage maps and might have an alternative view on things.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 11

Beppe6
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@gmarkj 

Can't seem to find a way to activate Wifi calling, no toggle available in the settings of my handset. The phone is in the O2 ok list (Samsung Galaxy S9, fully updated); I have gone into O2 App, My Device, it asks me to check that device is compatible and add to account, but when I press "Wifi and 4G calling" it takes me into an endless round of useless information and then brings me back to starting point. Really confusing. 

Does anyone know whether Wifi calling is actually working on a Galaxy S9? And, if so, how to do it?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

You will need to ask customer services to enable it on your account first @Beppe6, then it should appear on the phone settings.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Beppe6 

They say every picture tells a story so once O2 have activated it on your account as said by @gmarkj., then you can activate it in My O2.

wifi calling myo2.PNG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

Beppe6
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @gmarkj  and @Cleoriff 

I will try.

Message 8 of 11

Beppe6
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff @gmarkj 

Thanks, I will try.

Message 9 of 11

Beppe6
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff @gmarkj @Bambino 

I have contacted O2 cust. serv. and they activated Wifi calling / G4 for me - or so they said (see below). Unfortunately, this changed nothing to my problem.

Just to give you some more detail: often I wake up in the morning to find (on the lock screen) the message "Emergency calls only", and (if I am on mobile data only) I also have no network connection at all. Only Wifi is always working fine.

If I try to make a call, I get the screen message "Not registered on network". This happens even with Wifi on, so I guess this would suggest that Wifi calling is actually not working?
If I try to call my own phone from another phone, I get the voice message "It has not been possible to connect your call". 
If I do nothing, the phone stays disconnected indefinitely, as far as I can see, even if I go outside or move to a different area in town; so, the problem does not resolve itself, ever.

This can also happen at other times of the day, not just first thing in the morning. But I can't see what triggers it.

The interesting thing is that, when I'm disconnected, I still see one, two or even three bars on the signal icon (top right); which means that everything looks normal and I'm not aware that I'm isolated, unless I check on the lock screen. 

So I'm now thinking that the problem perhaps is not signal coverage (which should be excellent in my area), but something else that for some reason de-registers my SIM from the network every now and then, and then keeps it disconnected until I intervene manually. 

As I said before, when I notice, if I press Flight Mode on and off again, or restart the phone, it quickly goes back to normal. 

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated, and many thanks in advance.

Message 10 of 11