Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS tracker won't upload to server as port seems to be blocked by O2

Billy1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a GPS tracking device with an O2 SIM inserted on my vehicle which uses a web based live tracking platform.  Basically the device obtains GPS coordinates and then uploads them to the IP address of the tracking platform sever.

Suddenly the tracker has stopped working and I have found out the problem seems to be that O2 is blocking the port.  If I insert a SIM from another network in the tracker such as Vodafone or GiffGaff it works perfectly fine.

I was wondering if there is any way you can request O2 to unblock/open a port so I can continue to use my tracker with the O2 SIM card.

The IP address in question is 202.104.150.75 and the port is 9000

If anyone can help me I will be extremely grateful as I'm losing the will to live here!!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions

@Billy1 

I'd switch to a working SIM.

O2 have always denied blocking ports, even though it's been proven many times, so getting anywhere with O2 will be impossible.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 17

Billy1
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It isn't as simple as this as I have many devices all with O2 SIMs.

To switch all the SIM cards would mean losing all the existing credit on the SIMs and then having to top up all the new SIMs on a different network.

Hopefully an O2 Guru will read this thread and offer some much needed support.

Message 3 of 17

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
They won't, but you can always live in hope.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 17

O2John
  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Billy1 

My knowledge of this doesn't go as far as ports being blocked/unblocked - that's the kind of thing that would need escalated to the Network Team via customer service - not sure how the usual timescales on that would be impacted just now though - under normal circumstances it's around 5 working days.

But before that... you mention it is a PAYG SIM, and it seems to have been working prior to now based on your original post? Which leads me to thinking it's been listed as inactive and disconnected.  [Our PAYG SIMs need to be used for a phone call at least every 3 months (previously 6 months, however I've personally come across multiple cases where getting it reactivated I've been asked to advise the customer 3 months).]

How long have you had that SIM? Have you tried the SIM in a phone to check if it picks up service? If this is the case, and it was working before, our Customer Service Team can reactivate the SIM, and load any credit back on to it. Would normally be back up and running within 24hrs including the credit being applied.

Depending on what PAYG package you had - it might be worthwhile looking into the lower cost options within our SIMO deals. Obviously this could be more expensive in your situation - as it will depend on exactly how much data the tracker is using - but they're typically low data, and you bypass the inactive/disconnect issue - like I said, it MIGHT be worthwhile (depending on how many you have, and if it's Business/Personal use, there's various options and potential discounts via Family Plan etc).

signature
Message 5 of 17

Billy1
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply but I have checked all of this.

Like I said i the original post I have many trackers that were working fine and then stopped suddenly.

I have tried a Vodafone and GiffGaff SIM in the tracker and it loads data to the server perfectly.

The technical staff from the tracker manufacturer have confirmed that the port 9000 is blocked by the O2 server which is causing the problem.

I have tried to contact the O2 technical team but they are not working apparently? 

I need assistance.

Message 6 of 17

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
You're wasting your time mate.
Been here years ago.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 17

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10315 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3029 Solutions
@Billy1

TCP Port 9000 is a well known Bit Torrent Default port for the QBittorrent application, so this would be why it is blocked by o2, the way to get round this is if the application can use a none default port.

It would surprise me if you could use ports 8443 (SSL) or 443 (SSL) or 21 (FTP) which are secure ports , the vendor will be able to assist further
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 17

O2John
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Little bit of digging, and I've just tried it, and the connection works.

Found it on another forum, I changed the Username for my APN to Bypass (picked up the tip off a similar thread on the GiffGaff forums - and it appears to have solved their issue). My connection is working fine, so might be worth a shot?
signature
Message 9 of 17

Billy1
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the info - very kind of you.

I've passed this on to the manufacturer so hopefully they can help!

Message 10 of 17