Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duck DNS being blocked?

Seabass78
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm using Duck DNS as a dynamic DNS service so I can remotely access self hosted services that run on a computer at home. This has been working flawlessly until today, but now any of my self hosted services fail to load with an SSL protocol error as does www.duckdns.org. If however I go to duckdns.org I get an O2 page saying access denied and gives the following reason. "This page has been blocked for either a legal or technical reason."

If I connect via a VPN it works fine so does seem to be related to O2, has anyone else been having  similar issues or know if O2 are now blocking the service?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10189 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Seabass78 

To be honest not heard of Duck DNS, 

It looks like it has been blocked as part of ShieldCF which means a service using DuckDNS has been reported to one of the RBL's and hence they have blocked the whole domain and DNS servers. 5

madasaf1sh_0-1688546744300.png

Nothing o2 will do to unblock it, it is down to DuckDNS to contact the RBL's directly

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

madasaf1sh
  • 10189 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Seabass78 

To be honest not heard of Duck DNS, 

It looks like it has been blocked as part of ShieldCF which means a service using DuckDNS has been reported to one of the RBL's and hence they have blocked the whole domain and DNS servers. 5

madasaf1sh_0-1688546744300.png

Nothing o2 will do to unblock it, it is down to DuckDNS to contact the RBL's directly

Message 2 of 8

Seabass78
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, that's helpful. I'll contact them and see if they can resolve it. 

Message 3 of 8

mogodon
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How did you get this sorted? O2 have blocked duckdns.org again today.

Message 4 of 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6609 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Interesting that it's not blocked on my EE connection or my Virgin Broadband, but definitely blocked on O2

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 10189 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@mogodon @Enlli 

This could be down to the fact one of the malware sites classifying duckdns.org as hosting malware sites, across their platform, as they have been known to have done in the past. 

Unfortunately the problem with these free services is they are abused by spammers and threat actors, and I see this a lot at work, where people try using the DDNS services and rDNS service and get blocked by other networks as they see the risk and traffic coming across there networks.. 

If memory serves Facebook even banned these services a couple of years ago... 

It might be worth reaching out to DuckDNS and getting them to sort out the platform to prevent people abusing the platform...

Message 6 of 8

wittsend
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I've had the exact same issue as you for months now. I self host a cloud with duckdns as my dynamic domain name provider.

It seems just lazy to block the whole domain instead of just the offending subdomains. I'm considering changing mobile providers because running through VPN is often slow, plus it kills phone battery.

Message 7 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 10189 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@wittsend 

As per your other thread, it is a harbourer of Phishing Campaigns, and DuckDNS do nothing to resolve the issue, and people just change one character, so I agree with the blocking of the whole root of the FQDN as then maybe the provide will start taking action... 

To cancel your contract follow this link Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Also be aware all of the other networks go through blocking this host of Phishing Campaigns... so get some PAYG sims and test... Or find another DDNS /  rDNS provider, many are reputable just not the one you are using..

Message 8 of 8