Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive calls or texts even after new SIM

Cstn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Im at my wits end here, i recently found out on monday last week that my number is coming up as unknown to people trying to call me (I do have data and can make outgoing calls/texts to anyone fine though). It could have been happening for awhile prior to that, it wasnt until something important came up that i found out. I cant receive texts either which is now becoming an issue as i need to code authenticate to login to a work system. It does seem i might be able to receive calls/texts from local o2 numbers though, there is definetly an exception. One friend can contact me and he is on o2 from the same town.

Ive called o2 4 times over the past 24 hours. Did all the suggested troubleshoots on the device, nothing worked - reseting, changing settings, manual network change, travelled to another region etc... . Final step today was a sim swap. Still the same... Not sure what to do. Being without a phone is causing serious problems now, im also a single parent so not being contactable is unacceptable.

Can i cancel a contract early over this or what are my choices? I feel like ive exhausted the support options. Can a handset suddenly become faulty and do this? Why would it not effect a specific network and happen regardless of sims though? Also i cant receive o2 supports own messages or calls which has made dealing with it horrendous. I only found out about my new sim by browsing the o2 account online as i cant get the messages!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Cstn 

You need to persevere with O2 unfortunately.

Try the UK social media links here Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 9

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7496 Posts
  • 142 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@Cstn wrote:

Can a handset suddenly become faulty and do this? 

I would not have though so @Cstn, but that is one thing that you can easily check yourself :-

1. put your SIM into a different handset and see if the problem goes with it. 

2. procure a cheap O2 PAYG SIM, put it into your handset and see if that experiences similar problems. 

I do not think that these actions will solve your problem, but there might be some benefit in ruling out handset issues as a possibility. 👍  

Message 3 of 9

Cstn
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an esim now, i guess i can cancel and request another to another device?

Regardless i spent a couple more hours on phone to support. Got nowhere. Each time i contact them its like starting again, you would think they would leave notes for each other. My home postcode has a problem with the mast apparently(though doesnt seem to effect data or outgoing or receiving local o2? or anyone else?), and the support wont accept my problem being a week old and not recent or me traveling to two different cities and having the same issues. So im just at a stalemate until the local postcode is green on their system or something? Then maybe they will advance me further on support.

Message 4 of 9

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7496 Posts
  • 142 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@Cstn 

My suggestion if you are not getting results on the 'phone is to try contacting O2's social media team. They are UK-based and have a good reputation :-

Facebook : https://o2uk.co/O2CFB

X (previously known as Twitter) : https://o2uk.co/O2CTW

Instagram : https://o2uk.co/O2CIG

What you need to remember is that you only need find one O2 member of staff with the skill, experience and time to engage with you and you just might make progress. 👍 

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Surely an echo...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 9

Cstn
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, i just wanted to rant that this still hasnt been fixed 2 months on. I have continiously tried to contact o2. I always go through all the tech support steps again then end result is a ticket or complaint. Then i wait weeks for nothing. I went to the o2 store last monday and was shown all the tickets and complaints just get marked as resolved with no action. There is nothing else they can do instore. I called again and demanded my contract be ended but was told i would have to pay a 300£+ termination fee. This is just for the SIM. 

I cancelled my direct debit but i am now gaining debt on credit score it seems? Until bills are paid the customer support number doesnt even seem to allow you to speak to anyone anymore? What a joke this is. The customer service is appalling and the situation seems like an illegal scam to me. Everytime i try the only other support option (o2 app) it says the service is too busy and to try again another time. So im expected to pay monthly for nothing. Its also worth noting i now have a PAYG EE SIM that fully functions so the issue is 100% on my account which i told them when it all started 2 months ago.

Message 7 of 9

Woofdoggy
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

If you purchased online you might have the 14 day cooling off period during which you can cancel and move your number to another supplier. Depends how long you have had the contract. Money expert is a great site to look for that kind of advice.

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Unfortunately way past the 14 days in this instance.

@Cstn 

You need to get this resolved and your contract terminated or else you are just going to amass a bill for nothing and a trashed credit score.

Start with a complaint if not done so already.

If you have, you can escalate to the ombudsman for them to investigate.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/4246828/Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf

Message 9 of 9