Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions

@Rebeccageorge 

This is a customer to customer community, not O2.
You need to contact O2.
Message them on Social Media. Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) or give them a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (contract) 4445 or 0344 8090222 (PAYG) or use Skype if you have no other phone Guide: A Guide to Skype 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36456 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

@Rebeccageorge wrote:

Was sent a replacement sim but can’t call out from it

O2 have taken to blocking the existing SIM when a replacement is requested on-line, @Rebeccageorge - a good reason to make the move from one to another SIM in-store. You will need, as @MI5 writes above, need to persist with O2. Good luck!

Message 3 of 7

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6325 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

Two quick questions @pgn as I have never swopped my SIM with O2 :-

a) if you do the SIM swop instore, do you leave the premises with a new working SIM ? Or is there a delay or more to do before the new SIM is active ? 

b) if you do a SIM swop by post, is the new SIM live when it reaches you ? Or is there a further activation process once the new SIM is installed into your handset ? 

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Rebeccageorge wrote:

Was sent a replacement sim but can’t call out from it

O2 have taken to blocking the existing SIM when a replacement is requested on-line, @Rebeccageorge - a good reason to make the move from one to another SIM in-store. You will need, as @MI5 writes above, need to persist with O2. Good luck!

A replacement sim would be activated upon receipt, except in this case, which I assume would be to replace one reported lost. 

This then requires contact to O2 to remove account bars that are placed automatically upon a loss report.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36456 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

@Oxonian wrote:

Two quick questions @pgn as I have never swopped my SIM with O2 :-

a) if you do the SIM swop instore, do you leave the premises with a new working SIM ? Or is there a delay or more to do before the new SIM is active ? 

b) if you do a SIM swop by post, is the new SIM live when it reaches you ? Or is there a further activation process once the new SIM is installed into your handset ? 

Last time I did a SIM swap in-store, the old phone lost service about 10mins after I left the store, and I remember sitting in my car in the car park  unpacking the new phone and popping in the new SIM - which had me up and running straight away.

(Damn that blasted pop-up! 🤯)

Most recently, I was sent a 5G SIM for my Pixel 6a, an upgrade via  AffordableMobiles, to replace the old 4G SIM in my 4a - the SIM sat unused for about 4 weeks, as the 4a and its SIM were still in use. I then put the 4G SIM into the new 6a, did the device sync to move to 6a from 4a (cable) and then started a SIM Swap from the MyO2 app on the 6a with the 5G SIM in the 4a...about 5 mins later, no service on new phone, and service on 4a. I powered each phone down, swapped the SIMs around, and my 6a was fully operational. The 4a showed 'No Service', or "Emergency Calls Only", at this point, from memory, @Oxonian.

As @MI5 explains above, a "Reported Lost or Stolen" phone or SIM results not only in barring of that SIM, but barring of the handset and the account (see Guide: O2 BARs for some idea of this barrage of Bars!) is also done by O2 - until the handset owner confirms receipt of new SIM and attempts to put it into a replacement handset... Only to find their account also barred. This is a situation which O2, since early VMO2 days, have been increasingly unable to rectify with a single call, sadly.

Message 6 of 7

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6325 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@pgn 

Many thanks for clarifying that. I found your explanations most useful and I am sure that there will be other readers who will appreciate your demystifying the process. 

My feelings entirely about the pop-up ! devil

Message 7 of 7