cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

Stuey3D
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Would one of the o2 community managers please look into this for me.

I too am having this issue on both my Ultra and the wife’s Series 8, however the Watch Tech support team on the phone couldn’t help and when I read out the problem and solution suggested on this thread she put me through to retentions who also couldn’t help. 

The issue I’m having is that as both the Ultra and Series 8 are under refresh tariffs, so if the retentions lady was to cancel the plans so I could set them up again as per solution suggested in this thread I’d need to have a spare £1300 handy as it would trigger the cancellation of the whole refresh contract including the device plans. 

Now this is not the first time o2 have had major issues with Apple devices either, I remember having an iPhone XR that on iOS 12 worked perfect and after update to iOS 13 the o2 network failed to work properly on it whilst my works EE SIM card worked perfect, spent ages with o2 and Apple trying to fix and ended up selling the phone to a friend on EE and buying an iPhone 11 only for 5 months later o2 and Apple ended up putting out a press statement saying there was a software incompatibility that has now been fixed. 

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/iphone-xr-o2-issues-network-confirms-major-signal-problems-39672...

Please don’t let this Apple Watch issue take another 5 months to get sorted, as I don’t like paying for a service I can’t use due to something out of my control. 

Message 131 of 233

Stuey3D
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous can you look into this for me please. 

Message 132 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stuey3D will private message you.

Message 133 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

@O2Emma tagged you in this Watch issue that we have been dealing with as will need a follow up on the 16/12/2022

O2Simon

Message 134 of 233

Stuey3D
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Big thanks to @Anonymous he managed to get this issue sorted and both watches appear to be working properly now. Simon had to disconnect and reconnect the Watch numbers on O2’s end and then reset the eSims too. I on my end had to unpair and repair the watches removing the data plan in the Watch app. 

Took both watches out and about last night to test them, my Ultra held onto the signal without dropping switching from 4G - 3G and back again no issues and moving between cellular towers and moving from low to high signal areas perfectly. 

The wife’s series 8 on the same run did drop signal a couple of times in an area I expected it to, it did worry me for a bit as it sat on the Red Cross for a while after moving to an area I knew had signal but after a couple of mins it did regain signal and then held onto it no problems. 

One thing to note, after the update to WatchOS 9.2 when I was still having issues the carrier version was O2 22.0, after yesterdays fix the carrier version is now O2 23.0 so I wonder if the fix forced a carrier update which may have helped, potentially the O2 23.0 carrier update may fix this issue without all the messing about on O2’s end. Either way both watches are now working great, so thanks again @Anonymous 

Message 135 of 233

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @Stuey3D o2Simon did tag me in with the issue to check your watches are all working by the sound of they both are which me and Simon are pleased about if you need anything further do not hesitate to come back to us on community.

signature
Message 136 of 233

Stuey3D
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I will do, you guys in the community solved my issue straight away without being passed from pillar to post on the phone for over an hour without a solution. 

Next time the community will be my first stop. Thank you @O2Emma & @Anonymous 

Message 137 of 233

Ryan31
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous Hi Simon…. Can you help me with the same problem? Recently upgraded to Apple Watch ultra. No cellular connection. Just spoke to the retentions team as per the fix in this thread and they said it’s the Apple Watch software update and nothing can be done. 

I’m not convinced by that answer but meanwhile I’m left paying for a service that I can’t get and nobody is offering a solution. 

thanks so much 

Ryan

Message 138 of 233

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36557 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

@Ryan31 wrote:

@Anonymous Hi Simon…. Can you help me with the same problem? Recently upgraded to Apple Watch ultra. No cellular connection. Just spoke to the retentions team as per the fix in this thread and they said it’s the Apple Watch software update and nothing can be done. 

I’m not convinced by that answer but meanwhile I’m left paying for a service that I can’t get and nobody is offering a solution. 

thanks so much 

Ryan

@Ryan31 - Simon is not on today, but @O2Georgina is on now, hopefully she will contact you via PM for more details presently. Good luck!

Message 139 of 233

O2Georgina
  • 387 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 13 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @pgn 

@Ryan31  I will send you a private message now

signature
Message 140 of 233