Did you mean: 

02 WiFi on Underground

Will2022
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Evening all

I can't seem to get onto the O2 logon on Virgin media WiFi on the underground, it comes up with a '1010' error message. I've read somewhere about WiFi extra being an option but my phone doesn't connect to it either or even see it. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Will2022 

O2 have their own guide about Wifi extra on the London Underground.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-london-underground 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Hi @Will2022 - any of the tips in here about connecting in the station before you go down the escalators to the platforms or trains help?

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/station-wifi

Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Will2022 

O2 have their own guide about Wifi extra on the London Underground.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-london-underground 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Will2022 

My advice dont bother with the Underground WiFi, it really is rubbish, and having tried to use it on Friday last week and when we where talking about it everyone just said dont bother, as its going to be ripped out in the near future.

Added it is that bad that Voda pulled their customers from accessing it.... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 6

tedbun
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

WiFi on the London Underground is provided by BAI. I'm guessing (safe bet!) that Three/O2/Voda etc have to pay to access. Voda pulled out in Summer 2021, but then reinstated in 2023 "in response to customer  demand": announcement here 

Virgin Media pulled out in March 2023, which mainly screwed their 'broadband only' customers who did not own a smartphone, as Virgin customers with a Virgin Mobile or O2 SIM could switch to "WiFi Extra" network (as well as giffgaff and Tesco Mobile), and customers with non-VMO2 phones could use their own mobile provider instead. The "Virgin Media Wifi" (manual connection) and "Virgin Media" (automatic connection) SSIDs disappeared. I expect that this was all as a result of the Virgin Media/O2 merger, to avoid having to pay BAI twice!

As at February 2024 there are still WiFi Extra (O2), EE, Vodafone and Three SSIDs on London Underground.

At the same time BAI is slowly rolling out 4G/5G coverage (including in tunnels), with 220 stations expected to be connected by the end of 2024 (currently only around 30 stations ).

Other than the Virgin Media SSIDs having been withdrawn, there is no suggestion that the London Underground WiFi is going to disappear anytime soon. It seems that the two systems (station Wi-Fi and mobile coverage in stations/tunnels) are going to run side-by-side at least in the short term.

Message 5 of 6

Oxonian
Level 27: Desk Jockey
  • 4915 Posts
  • 81 Topics
  • 20 Solutions

@Will2022 @tedbun 

A search of this forum will highlight quite a few posts on this topic with links to relevant articles.  

Message 6 of 6