Did you mean: 

Can send text but cannot receive texts to and from a foreign mobile phone

W_Webster
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

Since November 2023 I switched from EE to O2. I received a new Sim, but was able to keep the same number. My number is an ordinary 07 mobile phone number.

Since then I found out that I can receive texts from my sister, who lives in the Netherlands with a Dutch Mobile Phone provider (a 06 mobile phone number), but I cannot send her texts at all. She cannot receive them, despite saying at my end that the text is sent (and charged!). However, I can phone my sister, and she can phone me.

I have a International bolt on and a spend cap on my phone for International Calls and texts.

I tried to phone my technically issue to O2, but the nice lady and I were not able to resolve the problem at the time.

My international texts were perfectly fine with EE, but as soon as I switched to O2 I have problems with the International texts. National texts and phone calls work fine too. 

Before I phone again for help, is O2 Tech able to check my settings, and perhaps do a diagnostics at their end? I think the settings on my phone work fine. I truly start to believe that something in the connection towards foreign mobile phones is off, but then, I am not technical enough in Mobile phones.

I cannot check with other foreign mobile phones if they have the same problems, though, which is a shame. For now, I am going to assume that this problem is with all mobile phone numbers (in the Netherlands at least).

I thank you in advance for your kind help.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

@W_Webster 

Ask your sister to check that she hasn't accidentally blocked your number or marked as spam in message settings.

You can also use WhatsApp to call and text for free if you both use the app.

Guide: Text Message Tips (not sent or received) 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 11

W_Webster
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello M15,

My apologies. I forgot to put the details of what I have done to solve the problem myself. 

I indeed already asked my sister to check if I am on her blocked list, and I am not. So that is off the table.

I also proposed that my sister is to use WhatsApp, but she doesn't want to do this as she doesn't trust the security (her choice not mine). That goes for most other "messenger" systems as well, alas.

Do you have any other tips I might be able to try?

I hope I can find another victim soon with a foreign mobile phone number I can test the texting on. But for now - in theory - I am going to pretend it is all foreign (Dutch) mobile numbers that display this problem. Also, because it happened so suddenly (basically days after the switch), and because I have not been able to find a solution for it yet.

Many thanks again for thinking along with M15.

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

@W_Webster 

I can only suggest your sister speaks to her network to see if they can trace the message coming in to them and then see where it's going.

Is she also aware that some phones have separate blocked lists for calls and texts?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 11

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7152 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

WhatsApp is far more secure than standard text messages

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 11

W_Webster
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello M15,

Many thanks for your advice. I shall pass on your suggestions. I cannot say if my sister's phone has separate blocked lists or not, but I shall ask, of course. 

Perhaps my sister's provider can do something about this issue.

Thank you so much for your advice, M15.

Thanks for your advice, M15.

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

Good luck @W_Webster 

Let us know how it goes please.

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

WhatsApp is far more secure than standard text messages

In theory although we don't know for sure how much of our data is being mined by Meta

Message 8 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12396 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1149 Solutions

Would a spend cap be interfering with this @W_Webster @MI5 ?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 147197 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

Would a spend cap be interfering with this @W_Webster @MI5 ?

It would appear not.

She cannot receive them, despite saying at my end that the text is sent (and charged!). However, I can phone my sister, and she can phone me.

Message 10 of 11