cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when i buy a pay as you go 02 phone, is the £10 sim a one off payment thing ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

when i buy a pay as you go 02 phone (outright from the website), is the £10 sim a one off payment thing, I see it doesnt allow me to add the phone to the basket unless I select a tarrif/bundle/sim ?

I have noticed on the 02 website that in order to be able to get the phone into the purchase/buy basket, I first have to click on a £10 pay as you go deal, hmmmm ?

I am wary about this as the 02 agent said it was pay as you go with "no contract (just as I want)", but it wasnt until afterwards that I noticed this when attempting to purchase the phone that In order to be able to get the actual phone into the purchase/buy basket I first of all had to click on a pay as you go deal, so I seen one for £10 and picked that.

After that the phone was then in the purchase/buy basket, same price, I didnt get charged the extra £10 and the delivery is free too.

Reason why things like this worry me is I dont want tied to or roped into being tied to the £10 per month etc, you know what I mean ?

I could possibly want to have the phone unlocked and use another provider (maybe), thats the whole reason why I want to purchase a phone as a one off payment with no hidden ties per month, know what I mean ?.

Am I simply worrying about nothing here ? ? Is this what 02 do automatically to try and get you to stay with them and use their service etc, I.E - the phone wouldnt be any good to anyone if it didnt have any sim ??

I just want to double check this before I purchase because I dont want tied into anything.

Thanks my friends and sorry for dragging this on and on, lol. xx

(p.s, I still havent purchased yet because of this, so I am desperate for an answer quickly, hope someone can help, thank you all slight_smile )

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apologies.

Ref Warranties.

The phone comes with a manufacturers warranty which won't be affected by the network you use.

O2 will see from their records you bought the phone from them so would honour their cover too, although we suggest always going to the manufacturer first for any issues, as o2's own have caused issues for some who have used them.
Message 11 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @Anonymous 

I'm not sure if this a good idea to be honest. You want to use the phone on giffgaff,although in theory because o2 owns giffgaff it should work it is not guaranteed. You may find yourself having a phone that you cannot unlock for 12 months...something for you to consider..

Message 12 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree rosadosc which is why I was careful to say "should work" ,and suggested approaching Carphone warehouse as theirs are typically unlocked.

Im wondering if the Op purchased from an O2 HighStreet store would the Staff allow the purchaser to insert a Giffgaff SIM card, although I don't see them breaking the seal on a box to test, or maybe let the Op try it in a working demo model. Just thinking out loud.
Message 13 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 123052 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

I hope @Anonymous comes back to read this last bit of info about giffgaff...she is offline now slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

what can I say, i just spoke to 02 sales and customer services on the phone for first time ever then spoke to the local store and I have to say that this is by far the worst customer service I have had ever with any company EVER in my life, they simply were not interested at all, totally useless, makes me wonder just how bad they would be if a phone was actually purchased from them, terrible service.

I usually get treated like a queen when I am speaking to a company for the first time and ready to spend hundreds of pounds, but no, they simply couldnt care less.

WOW !!! is all I can say, very bad first impressions 😞

Message 15 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

p.s, look on giffgaff's site, you will see yourselves that their sim/service works with any 02 locked phone.

Message 16 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not good to hear of experiences like this.

I have seen sales reps interest drop before when they realise I want a Payg phone 😔

I'm sure not every agent comes across the same way.
Message 17 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

p.s, look on giffgaff's site, you will see yourselves that their sim/service works with any 02 locked phone.

Fair enough. 

It still makes sense to ask / check in the long run. 😄

Message 18 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the Giff gaff website, when you go on their website's FAQ for unlocking codes, O2 is listed and it says15.00...no mention its free or that it  will accept the sim card...

Message 19 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

phone is now ordered, so i will get back to ya all next week when no doubt I will need help to get more answers.

thanks people slight_smile xx

Message 20 of 32