cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

used phone sold as new?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yesterday I bought what's meant to be a brand new Sony xperia a1 on pay as you go, paid for it £199.

When I brought it home and unpacked it turned out that the device has the screen protector attached to it. The kind of you can buy on eBay for 1.99. I phoned up the store and told them about but they reassured me that this is brand new phone. But they weren't able to give me the answer where the protector comes from and who put it there. Anybody had something similar happened?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
O2 would clearly identify it if it was a pre owned phone.
I can only speak as I find but I've had quite a few Sony phones and my Z1 and Z5 both had screen protectors already fitted and my SP had one in the box.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I have checked in the shop and found this one in the AS NEW section https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/?contractType=payasyougo#sort=content.sorting.featured&page=2

Sony as new.PNG

If this is the one...then it's definitely AS NEW not brand new?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
My last 2 Sony phones have both had a screen protector fitted from new and they aren't the cheap ones off ebay either.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

I have checked again and the same phone is showing in the overall PAYG section (in with the new phones) It doesn't have the 'new' sticker on the advert though....(as most of them do....)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 18

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
The "new" sticker refers to the model of phone being new, not whether the phone is pre-owned.
Any phones that are not brand new are labeled "like new"

Currently using:
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Yes. My point is it is showing in both sections....As New and PAYG.. for exactly the same price. That tends to be confusing for anyone buying a phone I think.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
I'm not seeing any "as new" XA1's ?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I'm not seeing any "as new" XA1's ?

The picture I took was from the As New section I thought.... (or maybe not as I have just checked again and can't see it)  Well done..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your posts guys.

@Cleoriff

That's the phone I bought. There was no information in the store whether the device was preowned and I wasn't aware of that it could be preowned.

I know o2 sells 2nd hand refurbished devices but they are advertised "like new" and are usually cheaper from the new ones. Not sure what to think of all this. Phone has no sign of wear and tear whatsoever.
Message 9 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for your posts guys.

@Cleoriff

That's the phone I bought. There was no information in the store whether the device was preowned and I wasn't aware of that it could be preowned.

I know o2 sells 2nd hand refurbished devices but they are advertised "like new" and are usually cheaper from the new ones. Not sure what to think of all this. Phone has no sign of wear and tear whatsoever.

No I made a mistake @Anonymous. It isn't in the AS New section. It appears to be a new model they are advertising....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 18