cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem topping up Pay and Go for visitors from abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

P&G top up (auto or on web) seems impossible using a UK credit or debit card that has a registered billing address in Australia. Is there a way around this?

I visit UK and Europe regularly so need a local SIM. o2 happy to sell me the card using the same card but I can't top up using it - so the 10 pounds spent so far wasted slight_smile

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It would be the same for me if I went to Aus. You would think these days banks would have come up with some kind of system to get round this issue. One other thought, you might be able to use ATM's. Most of them in the UK allow you to top up mobiles from them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Buy a top up voucher or top up in store. Web services need a UK address to validate the card.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanks. was hoping to keep the sim and number for each visit. seems a pity if i cant keep it topped up while abroad except by visiting stores to top up each time I arrive. 

Back to using skype then.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It would be the same for me if I went to Aus. You would think these days banks would have come up with some kind of system to get round this issue. One other thought, you might be able to use ATM's. Most of them in the UK allow you to top up mobiles from them.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks for your advice. I agree about the banks - but in Oz they seem very happy to accommodate my UK card - it just changes from a debit to a credit card in their eyes. I'll delay burning the o2 SIM and take your advice to try an ATM. Cheers RTLM
Message 5 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Once topped up in the uk if you do not use it the credit will remain until next visit as long as you have the right payg card all you need to do is make a call every 6 months to keep the sim active.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 6