cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocking robot diallers on 'private' numbers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I keep getting called by a robot dialler, with a robot voice trying to sell me PPI recovery.

It calls in from 'private number' so I have to take the call in case it's work.

How can I stop this? I've started logging when the calls are comming through.

Robot diallers are illegal in much of the US, they realy should be here, and should be aggressively tracked and stopped 😞

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

Yes, it's an invasion of your privacy and contravenes your request for no marketing calls. However, you still need to find out more info about the caller to report them. Details are all on TPS or PhonePayplus websites. I can assure you that no network can track withheld numbers back to a number. A location is possible but this would not happen in this case as the offense isn't considered serious enough. It would have to come as an official request from the police in connection with a serious crime.

If you stayed on the line and played the game a little longer you may well find out more info about where the call is coming from......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
You'll need to try and obtain a number or the name of the company calling and report it to PhonePayPlus.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is of course impossible as it's a robot dialler, on a private line.

Hence there should be a way for my carrier (o2) to block them from a log of call times.

Thanks for the link though, that will be useful for other types of problem.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
O2 can't just block all private numbers, can they? When you answer it must say the name of the company or there must be some way for you to find out or how else would you be able to accept their kind offer of help (if you so wished to) ?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
You can also register your number here http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html which means they are in breech of the law if they continue to call a number which is so registered.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

It litterally just says 'Private Number' or I would know to ignore it.
It could go on for hours or insist you call something back at an extortionate price before it gives any company details for all I know.

O2 should be able to track private numbers internally, given the number called and the time of day. I don't beleive they're entirely anonymous to a carrier in the slightest on a digital network.

I did register this number on TPS about two years ago (maybe more I forget), and I have just successfully double checked it is still there via http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/registered.php I had forgotten that that did directly mean they were breaking the law though.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

Yes, it's an invasion of your privacy and contravenes your request for no marketing calls. However, you still need to find out more info about the caller to report them. Details are all on TPS or PhonePayplus websites. I can assure you that no network can track withheld numbers back to a number. A location is possible but this would not happen in this case as the offense isn't considered serious enough. It would have to come as an official request from the police in connection with a serious crime.

If you stayed on the line and played the game a little longer you may well find out more info about where the call is coming from......

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7