cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail outside of EU

Anonymous
Not applicable
Watch out for Voicemail charges while traveling abroad. You will have to pay to receive calls, at international rates, plus the country your staying in adds a charge, and then you pay to retrieve a call... And of course the VAT man has his share. While in Turkey(non EU) I have been paying £3.30 per unanswered incoming call lasting 00:00:05 seconds!
It also cost a further £1.80 to dial 901 and retrieve any message. True cost of each unanswered and retrieved call is £5.10 inc VAT. My advise is TURN OFF VOICEMAIL UNLESS ESSENTIAL. O2 doesn't go out of its way to publish this information. I had racked up a bill 5x bigger than normal before I discover the true cost.
Online chat couldn't explain either on 3 attempts... Disappointed with O2 lack of help before I discover my error and switched off my VOICEMAIL. BE WARNED!
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

We have been advising people to turn off their voicemail before leaving the UK for quite a while here.

We have been here for some considerable time. wink

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

We have been advising people to turn off their voicemail before leaving the UK for quite a while here.

We have been here for some considerable time. wink

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
How are you advising them? Would that be only when they complain?
Wouldn't it be better to add a warning to your Data roaming text alert which are sent to all O2 customer as soon as they reach a foreign destination? Or is this just a great way to make extra profit!
Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
It has to be turned off before you leave the UK, so adding it to the text would be useless. When people bother to come on here to ask for advice first, we tell them to turn off voicemail. Although there are some people who we can't help wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
How are you advising them? Would that be only when they complain?

No, it's when they come here and ask how to save costs before they go abroad.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you saying you can't turn off voicemail when you arrived abroad? I did when once discovered the horrendous charges I had raked up in 10 days. I called customer service after 3 online chats where the advisor could explain the call charges or for a nano second each time.
A text solution is entirely possible and not connected to data roaming or voicemail.
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Although the absolute honest answer would be to use another network that doesn't make these charges in the first place. And yes, I know O2 staff constantly lie that other networks do charge but the truth is they do not.
Message 7 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Although the absolute honest answer would be to use another network that doesn't make these charges in the first place. And yes, I know O2 staff constantly lie that other networks do charge but the truth is they do not.

If that's right it would help if you posted links to prove it or it's just gossip.

Message 8 of 8