cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone Portugal Roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm using my O2 sim card in Portugal and when I've contacted O2 support to know what are the Roaming partners in Portugal they say they are TMN, Optimus and Vodafone.

In some areas Vodafone have better coverage and I would like to connect to it, but it says my SIM Card can't connect to that network.

I've already tried using another phone but it can't connect to Vodafone.

When I search for networks, Vodafone is marked as (Forbidden).

I already tried to put a Vodafone Portugal Sim Card in that phone and it worked!

Thanks for your help!

Print Screen

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

Although O2 does have a roaming agreement with Vodafone Portugal depending on where you are you may struggle to register with them.

Vodafone Portugal prioritise their own customers over roamers, so many times if you are in a very highly populated area like Lisbon, the Algarve, Porto etc...they will not allow you to register on the network, that being the reason why you get the forbidden sign.

Both Optimus and TMN are ok, but personally I would go with TMN that has the best overall coverage and allows you to use their 3g unlike Optimus.

Hope this helps. slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I have friends who travel to Portugal frequently. They never have a problem using either TMN or Optimus.

One other friend has a mobile she uses solely when in Portugal. She bought it there and uses a local sim. She says it saves her a lot of money....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

Although O2 does have a roaming agreement with Vodafone Portugal depending on where you are you may struggle to register with them.

Vodafone Portugal prioritise their own customers over roamers, so many times if you are in a very highly populated area like Lisbon, the Algarve, Porto etc...they will not allow you to register on the network, that being the reason why you get the forbidden sign.

Both Optimus and TMN are ok, but personally I would go with TMN that has the best overall coverage and allows you to use their 3g unlike Optimus.

Hope this helps. slight_smile

Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

So an agreement that's not really agreed Confused

Funnily enough one of my friends uses Vodaphone in the UK...she can get the Voda network in Portugal...the others, on different networks can't . As I say one of them just gave up and uses a mobile bought in Portugal and a local sim. She has less probems than anyone wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

So an agreement that's not really agreed Confused

Funnily enough one of my friends uses Vodaphone in the UK...she can get the Voda network in Portugal...the others, on different networks can't . As I say one of them just gave up and uses a mobile bought in Portugal and a local sim. She has less probems than anyone wink

....and there you have it, the voice of experience wink

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Vodafone in Portugal when they have congestion in an area, the first thing they do is "drop " the roamers .You can't register on the network and it will say restricted like the OP mentioned.

If you go to the Algarve in August, for example, dont even bother trying them.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

when i was in portugal i had no option to choose tmn

Message 8 of 8