Did you mean: 

Very poor signal strength

drphibes
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I live in a rural village and o2 has really been the best and most reliable provider for a longtime. We gradually made the progress from 2g right upto 4g over the years but I would say in the last 3 to 4 months I have noticed a severe drop in signal strength that has resulted in delayed sms messages and phone calls often going tostraight to the o2 answering service instead of alerting my phone. The signal strength bar on my Huawei mate 20 x shows a weak signal but I tried to get more accurate readings from inside the settings and have come up with the following readings. When using 4g I will be hitting around -117 dbm 26 asu , 3g will lower to around -100dbm 20 asu and 2g 100dbm 6 asu. Obviously these figures differ very slightly but hover around the numbers given. I believe the lower the number the better and with these high levels it might explain why things seem to be all over the place ? I have looked on the o2 network checker but everything is supposed to be ok on the network.

Any ideas on what might be happening ? The same weak signals also happen on my wifes Samsung s10 so it doesnt appear to be an actaul hardware fault.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@drphibes 

Have you checked your network status?

https://status.o2.co.uk/ 

General network help here Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

drphibes
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes the network coverage is supposed to be fine according to the o2 status checker.

Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Then your only other option is to call O2. @drphibes 

All numbers in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Advice from an O2 Guru regarding a way to get through:

If you call 202, when it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.

Press 2 for Everything Else

Press 5 for More Options

Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to an advisor.

Press Upgrade, Lost/Stolen or Fraud if you have to.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

drphibes
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well I can only say I am very dissapointed with o2 and will now look to leave them and find an alternative network. They insist there is nothing wrong with the mast that I connect to and say there is nothing else they can do. They do not seem interested that most of the time I am stuck between 0-2 bars maximum on a mast that is less than half a mile away from me as the crow flies. I submitted dbm and asu figures to them but yet again that is not interesting them and they revert back to the engineers say its fine message. They mentioned wifi calling could be an option for me ! This is a bizarre offer to solve a problem in my mind and my Huawei mate 20 x is not supported by o2 for wifi calling anyway even though the phone is capable of this feature (it has wifi calling on 3 mobile) . Now I am in the situation were I have 3 months left of my contract and I dont want to hang around for the next 12 weeks potentially missing calls from my doctor and other important calls. I could live with missing the odd call from friends because they will always try again but you usually get one chance with the doctors and if you dont answer thats it until you can rearrange the call. Will I be able to move away without having to pay the remaining 3 months ? The service is sub standard and I dont feel I should pay for this really. Like I have said I would be more than happy to stay with o2, the service was the best were we live but something has gone on now that has made a great service very poor and o2 do not seem to be interested in accepting that an issue is there in the first place.

Message 5 of 5