cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading via 3rd Party

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm coming to the end of my Pay Monthly contract.

The offers to upgrade directly through O2 are not as good as via 3rd party retailers and much less value than obtaining a new O2 contract via a 3rd party retailer - £150 cheaper over 24 months.

To go the new contract route and keep my current mobile number I've done some looking around and think I would have to cancel my current contract, get a Pay as You go sim (from a different network) and port (PAC) my mobile number across to that sim.  Then do the same again when I change back to a new O2 contract via a 3rd party retailer.

This seems long winded and I imagine is the way the mobile phone business is setup generally to dissuade people from getting the absolute best value for money.  Does anyone have any experience of doing the above?  Are there clashes with re-establishing your online O2 details?  I.e. your same email address not being able to be used with the "new" O2 account?

Any advice welcome.

Ta

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No need for that.
Just take your new contract and then call O2 CS on 202 to transfer your number to new contract.
This will end your old one and generate the final bill, but it will mean you have 2 bills in that month.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No need for that.
Just take your new contract and then call O2 CS on 202 to transfer your number to new contract.
This will end your old one and generate the final bill, but it will mean you have 2 bills in that month.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
One point to note - the number transfer won't happen if you have a balance left on a device plan (if on refresh)

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.

Appreciated

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.

In that case I'll wait until the device plan is completed and then kick things off.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Again if you are on refresh you don't have to wait (if you don't want to) as you just have to pay off whatever is left.
If not on refresh then you would need to pay your normal monthly amount multiplied by the number of months left (eg, £31 per month x 2 months left = £62 to pay).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
They are on refresh.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7