Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading early

Deeee1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i am currently using amd iphone 5c but am in desperate need of an upgrade. o2 tells me that i have £70 to pay then i can upgrade but must i upgrade directly from o2 or can i upgrade from carphone warehouse as they have cheaper tarrifs 

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Once you pay off your device plan (if on refresh) or the remainder of your contract (if on a standard contract) you can upgrade anywhere you like.
However, the buy out cost may be more than £70 if you're not upgrading through O2 as they usually give a discount to upgrade early.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Once you pay off your device plan (if on refresh) or the remainder of your contract (if on a standard contract) you can upgrade anywhere you like.
However, the buy out cost may be more than £70 if you're not upgrading through O2 as they usually give a discount to upgrade early.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Carphone warehouse only lock you into standard 24 month contracts. You won't get Refresh through them
Message 4 of 17

Deeee1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't mind about the refresh i would just like a new phone 

Message 5 of 17

Deeee1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I do have a standard contract but i would just like to upgrade rather than cancel so i shouldnt need to pay too much. But if i upgrade would i be tied down to upgrading directly for o2 or do i have other optiona
Message 6 of 17

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

the amount you need to pay depends on where you got your contract from.

if direct through o2 (as stated above) then the amount to pay is what is left of your device plan.

if you got it through a 3rd party (carphone warehouse, mobiles.co.uk, etc) then it would be however many months you have left multiplied by the basic monthly charge (so 3 months at £30 would be 3 x £30 = £90).

some points to consider before you get a new contract are coverage and cost - do o2 have the best coverage for you, and where is the best place to get the deal you are after.

if you keep the phone for less than the standard contract length (if you want a new phone sooner than 2 years) then refresh can work for you.

if you intend to keep the phone for about 2 years (or more) then you have a little more choice as you can get it from a 3rd party as above.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No you're not tied to o2 as I've already said but you still have to pay off what you owe to upgrade early.
If you want to upgrade through CPW go into their shop and they will tell you what the upgrade fee is.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 17

Deeee1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you
Message 9 of 17

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
@MI5 - can CPW tell where you got the contract from, or do they just get you to check My o2?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 17