cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I allowed O2 Wifi?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

The whole setup for O2 Wifi seems very broken - is this just me? I tried to gain access on the Tube, and was informed via the captive portal that I need to register with O2 and would receive a text message. No message has ever come (despite repeated attempts to log in).

When I sign into My O2 elsewhere and click the "manage O2 Wifi" link, which goes here:

https://wifi.o2.co.uk/manage-devices

I get a 403 Forbidden status. To think I ditched Vodafone due to their ******ty web service maintenance... Bang

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Anyone at all can use the free public o2 wifi, but WiFi on the LU requires you to be an o2 customer.
Lu WiFi is run by virginmedia and has been having some problems recently.
There are quite a few reports on here of issues.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Have you checked this article? http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-london-underground

There are further help links at the bottom of the page...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
There is also a post here which tells you how to de-register from the system which has allowed some to successfully re-register again http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Wifi-At-London-Underground-Not-able-to-conne...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Testing

Message 5 of 12

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Maybe it's just me, but I've never understood the need to be able to use WiFi on the underground. It's only available in certain stations, and you can't actually use it in the train, which is where you are for most of the time while you're traveling. I'm sure someone will tell me it's an age thing.Confused

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie yep, thanks.

Thanks all for the replies. Wrote a full reply here, then lost it due to getting randomly signed out and wasn't allowed back in for about 10 mins - unbelieveable. Hence "Testing" message above. Anyway, after reading around it's clear that virgin media couldn't organise a bun fight in a bakery either, though the Tube wifi certainly isn't going to work if one doesn't already have O2 Wifi set up properly.

For anyone trying to get around the 403 Forbidden message, there is a trick. The server actually serves your very first request, during which it negotiates your login status with some other server and sets a couple of cookies. Once it sets those two cookies, it just serves the 403 instead. To rectify, open your browser's cookie management window, and before every request delete those two cookies. That includes before clicking on a button too. I managed to delete O2 Wifi from my account this way, so now I should be able to find a hotspot and attempt to re-register.

Will report back but I'm not brimming with confidence.

Message 8 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous can you provide us with an update on your issue? Thanks! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 12

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I tested it on the tube and find o2 wifi slow and disconnects, 

Also i would use a vpn as its a target for hacking phone so be careful , 

Message 10 of 12