cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrades

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was browsing the shop considering and upgrade, I noticed a couple of handsets (which ones are no longer important) that where being offered as refurbs with a slightly reduced monthly price over the new handsets. So I thought, yeah that will do, gets me a newer phone without a huge increase in monthly cost.

However, when I actually log in to browse the upgrades, the very same handsets are now no longer available as refurbs, they all say out of stock. Now I have tried this on various days, and also with 2 machines sat side by side, and they clearly show as available, until you login to browse upgrades on one machine, so we have one telling me they are available and one saying they are out of stock.

If you click through to order (on the machine not logged in to browse upgrades) these handsets still appear as available, but yet never show up at all as being in stock when browsing upgrades, I have tried it a few ways just to make sure im not going mad.

So really the question is why? Why am I (and I presume other customers) not allowed to purchase refurb handsets as an upgrade? Why do O2 feel the need and right to remove this option from my purchasing choices? Why? Why?

On top of this when I mentioned it to online chat, they tried to make out I was mistaken, but I can confirm, without doubt this is not the case...

Any thoughts on this? O has someone got some insight as to why this happens?

mrbee

Message 1 of 46
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All, thanks for all the posts, re getting a refurb handset from a shop, well I did check in my local shop and the guy said it was better ordering online!

I also got back onto live chat and asked why the particular handsets always go out of stock on upgrade paths? She said it must be out of stock, OK so why it is still showing as in stock elsewhere? No answer...

Anyway the long and short, after a lengthy chat, I got a new handset, with more minutes and a small loyalty bonus to bring the price closer the the refurb offer, but its a new phone with 200mins and 250MB more and only £1 more than the refurb offer, so yeah am finally pleased with the offer, but that still doesnt explain why this stock this is/was happening.

Thanks again all...

mrbee

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello @Anonymous and Welcome to the Forum.

It is the same when ordering a new phone. It can show in stock and then go out of stock ,as such is the fast nature of the ordering system.

This happens on all the Networks availability system. 😞

Perhaps if you ring Cs on 202 from your phone they may be able to help further ,or perhaps offer a retention deal which with a reduced cost on your tariff or a reduced handset cost could be akin to getting a refurbished handset.

Worth asking them IMO.

Message 2 of 46

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144173 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
This has been reported before and seems a bit sneaky to me tbh....
It appears new customers can purchase a refurb but upgrading customers can't.
You have proved it's nothing to do with general stock levels so it must be different stock levels for new or existing customers.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would also say contact them and see what they can offer you may get an even better deal you never know until you try
Message 4 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could also quote their supposed fair deal policy where new and existing customers are supposed to get the same offers which your clearly not
Message 5 of 46

pam
Level 4: Observant
  • 114 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I went through the Refresh last night and managed to order an iphone refurb, paid contract of (due Aug/Sept) and paid small amount upfront. My order went through no bother so fingers crossed the site's right.

I actually tried several times after logging on to see if I got the same pages etc, prior to ordering and did, so OP's could well be right and could be timing.

At the moment I've got self doubt as an online chat tried to charge me £100.13p for cancelling my contract, which should be £83.40 on refresh. I was also given the price of a new handset & tariff which was £10 more than I'd seen. At no time was I asked if I had logged in which made all the difference as I got asked banking details which o2 already have. After logging in I was allowed to browse and pick what I wanted.

This is the second time I've been mislead by the online chat side in a short period of time. This is why self doubt came in, BUT I've just received an email from 02 saying my order is on it's way wink  think I'll still be happier when I've got my 'new' phone in my hand though lol

I may add that I'd also tried phoning 02 prior to online chat but the wait was half an hour which would've taken the time to nearly 9pm when they finish, so waited quite some time then ended the call.

Good luck to you anyway and hope you get what you want.

Message 6 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, @Anonymous , this is most def not an ordering/stock issue and me just missing out before the stock goes unvavailable, this happens without fail every single time I try it, and I have been looking for around 2 weeks pondering my choices.

Even now I am logged into O2 with one browser, and the phones in question are listed as in stock when browsing the shop, but if browsing via upgrades they are mysteriously out of stock again, and in another browser, not logged into O2 of course they show as in stock, which in all truth can only lead me to surmise that this is done purposefully.

@pam the difference here for me is, that I have £0.00 to pay for upgrade as I am now within the last 30 days of my contract, I dont know if this makes a difference or not but I know for sure that the handset I looked at are never in stock if I look through the upgrades path only when I look through the regular shop.

I also was with the online chat about 2 weeks ago after Vodafone called me and made me some decent offers, and I also have a contract with Orange, and what the online chat person offered me was exactly the same as what I can view online myself, in other words I was offered absolutely no incentive to stick around, even when I said waive the £19.99 on a phone I was looking at and I will hang around, she refused saying that was all she could offer me and the charge of the handset is not negiotiable and if I wanted she could arrange my PAC to be sorted. So to be fair, I figure O2 dont really need nor want my business it would seem.

Anyway may give them a call if I can be bothered, but Im probably just looking to get my PAC and move on, we shall see.

mrbee

Message 7 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok @Anonymous

Hope all goes ok for you.

slight_smile
Message 8 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of you feel the handset you want is always out of stock why not try going into an o2 store with iD and upgrading in store? That way you sign up there and then and walk out with your new toy?

Would that be helpful? Is there an o2 store anywhere near?
Message 9 of 46

pam
Level 4: Observant
  • 114 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

That's a good idea piperdog.

It's looking very much like o2 are pushing stuff for new customers and I feel since the selling off of BB that o2 don't seem to be so customer minded now-I could well be wrong, but just the feeling i get. And if o2 offer mrbee his pac so quickly it's a real shame as they're losing yet another customer.

Message 10 of 46