Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

Kirkycrocky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm due an upgrade.. I have had 3 contract phones with 02 for 20+ years, all latest phones. Costs about £140 p/m. I have been through retention and been offered Samsung S20 plus with 30gb data.. For £42 over 36m..... I've found the same phone with 130gb data for £44 p/m over 24m (new contract not an upgrade) .... I suppose my question is, how is a 36m contract better... Even when 02 tell me its an interest free loan for the phone... Its still dearer each month than a 3rd party through 02.. Loyalty seems to be long forgotten with 02.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122771 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

With O2 you get a Refresh contract which means once the device is paid off you can upgrade.

Guide: How does O2 Refresh work? 

You also have access, if eligible, to O2 Open Guide: O2 Open & Friends and Family discounts - How to sign up 

Bottom line, you have to go for the deal which is better for you. No-one here can tell you which to go for. I'm with O2 as my phone is paid for and I stick with sim only deals which offer some great deals.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

TMB19
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Agree on this point; it used to be that, despite the rigmoral, you could get a decent reward for being loyal to O2. Now you just get the same deals as a new customer. Sky are likely to tempt me away this time round.

@Kirkycrocky wrote:
I'm due an upgrade.. I have had 3 contract phones with 02 for 20+ years, all latest phones. Costs about £140 p/m. I have been through retention and been offered Samsung S20 plus with 30gb data.. For £42 over 36m..... I've found the same phone with 130gb data for £44 p/m over 24m (new contract not an upgrade) .... I suppose my question is, how is a 36m contract better... Even when 02 tell me its an interest free loan for the phone... Its still dearer each month than a 3rd party through 02.. Loyalty seems to be long forgotten with 02.

Message 3 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
The days are long gone when O2 used to value loyal customers.
I've been lucky enough to manage to get a loyalty discount every time I've spoken to retentions even though I'm sim only (I've never had a contract that includes a phone) for the past 20+ years
I think it all boils down to who you speak to and to how many discounts they have given on a particular day
It might well be worth calling again and speaking to someone else.
Message 4 of 4