cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited calls to upgrade phone / contract?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this O2, or some one working on their behalf, or some chancer buying contact information to carry out unsolicited cold calling sales to upgrade?

Had a couple of calls from some people saying I am eligable for an upgrade and they are upgrading my phone on behalf of O2.

They have my mobile number, name, address, postcode and when my current contract expires ( it has just ).

Pushy sales person, but seemed to be able to offer phone and tariff, although all a bit strange.

24mb data?  

Found out after I agreed to get a HTC One X + that it was a HTC one X and only the basic 16mb version!  Phoned 'em back ( 0870 8200 326 ) and woman told me it was just a One X - they didn't do the One X +, and anyway despite being assured the handset would be with me next day they actually didn't have any for 2-3 days, awaiting delivery.  The black handset was now white or grey!

Told her I would cancel under distance selling regs as wrong handset and not a suitable tariff she said Ok feel free!

Called O2 who said it may have been initiated from O2 but no record of contract upgrade ( I guess may not have been propcessed by then, 6 hours later? ) and their tariffs don't match what I was offered, and O2 DO have the One X+ in stock with more memory etc.

SO if you get a call from these cowboys just string 'em along or blow them out!

Any one else had this?

Put the phone number into google and the whoiscalling me from... web sites show this is carphone warehouse, operating as e2save and upgrade me up.

I assume they have bought the contact personal data from O2 ??

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Just checked My O2 and it's ticked for newsletter and free stuff, but NOT 3rd parties and marketing ( the lower option ).

From section 21.4 of the terms and conditions:

If you don’t want your details to be used for marketing purposes, please write to us c/o The Data Controller, Telefónica UK Limited 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX or through the ‘Contact Us’ section of our Website. You’ll need to tell us your full name, address, account number and Mobile Phone number. For details on how we use your information please refer to our Privacy Policy on our Website.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I to have been caught by these pushy clowns At the 12th blocked call I answered Having pointed out that I had bought an iPhone 5 and the only possible reason for changing my contract would be to get a more generous data allowance. I did not need this upgrade Some upgrade 900 mins calls down to 300 and 53p a month extra If I never here from E2s again it'll be too soon
Message 12 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Why did you accept the offer? Just say NO and hang up. If it's less than 7 days ago you can cancel it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can believe I did But they were not talking no for an answer (Y hang up is the best form of NO) They even made as if they were O2
My comments here are to warn others and hope they don't make the same mistake that I unbelievably made
Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had about 25 calls from a variety of customers usually referencing O2, I complaine to O2 and they say it's nothing to do with them but if that's true, how do they know my contract is up for renewal?

Message 15 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

if that's true, how do they know my contract is up for renewal?

If you have allowed it, O2 will share your details with "selected 3rd parties" (Carphonewarehouse and it's subsidiaries, for example), whilst others may just be speculative calls.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 16