Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Unlimited Web bolt on modem

hi, i have a o2 contract with unlimited web bolt on. can i use this as a modem to connect to the internet on my laptop.

When i installed nokia PC suite it gave me the option. so i was wondering can i?

cheers Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

no
Highlighted
Anonymous

From a technical viewpoint it is possible. However o2 don't allow this, it is against their Terms & Conditions.

SV
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yup, although tethering is a breach of the Ts & Cs and they'll threaten to place bars on your account if you go over 250MB in any month. 250MB is generally a hard limit to reach with a mobile, but you'll get through it in no time connected to a laptop!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yup, although tethering is a breach of the Ts & Cs and they'll threaten to place bars on your account if you go over 250MB in any month. 250MB is generally a hard limit to reach with a mobile, but you'll get through it in no time connected to a laptop!

Where did you get these limits? o2 staff have posted on here many times to state no such cap exists on contract.

SV
Highlighted
Anonymous

Are you sure O2 staff post on here? I'd take any O2 "presence" in these forums with a pinch of salt.

I emailed mycare about their FUP several times, and each time got roughly the same answer...

"If you use the Unlimited Web Bolt On, you can download the data up to 250MB per month, this means that if you download more than 250MB per month then you'll be charged."
Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm not sure about the situation on Pay&Go, but on Pay Monthly there is no numerical limit on data usage. This is evident from O2's Terms & Conditons for pay monthly tariffs which are published online and they only mention limitations like audio/video streaming but no numerical limit.

MyCare staff are obviously mistaken as many people here have reported using a lot more than 250MB and this never results in any charges or other problems. I myself use an average of 300MB per month, without tethering. It's not hard at all to achieve with modern mobile phones.
Highlighted
Anonymous

It's not hard at all to achieve with modern mobile phones.

That's exactly what I told O2 Retentions last night! But no, they said, 250MB is your limit, "that's how it is with O2" I was told - so I've signed up to a 12 month Vodafone contract for now anyway, in protest.

If only we could trust what customer care agents say... Seems like not all of them know entirely what they're talking about and would rather BS than go and check for sure!!
Highlighted
Anonymous

There is a fair use policy in place in which a customer will be contacted if their use affects other people in the area, but no there is no "limit". A text will be sent to the customer advising that they are affecting service and if they continue the service will be restricted.
Highlighted
Topics: 575
Solutions: 3,920

Are you sure O2 staff post on here? I'd take any O2 "presence" in these forums with a pinch of salt.

Yes there are a few with very helpful advice and their input is much appreciated. We are sometimes privy to info before it appears on the site. With some of the rubbish that's spouted on here at times, it must be very difficult to give an unbiased viewpoint but they are always accurate with their comments and advice. You all know who you are so thank you. Smiley Wink