cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to text Australia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not been able to SMS numbers in Australia since last week. The texts appear to go and I get debited, I can call the numbers. The numbers are on two different Oz networks (Telstra and Optus) and I can text UK numbers. I can text the Australian numbers from another UK network (EE) with no problem.  I've spoken with customer services who says the messages have been sent and therefore its nothing to do with them - they are not prepared to look any further into it saying "it's their end." Clearly it's something related to O2 otherwise it wouldn't work from EE and its unlikely that the same problem would exist on two separate Australian networks. As CS won't help is there anyone here that can advise please? 

Thank you

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am receiving messages from relatives in Oz on Optus network but they are not receiving my messages. I have sent the same message to Optus and Virgin customers, Virgin received it Optus did not.

I have spent over an hour talking to a "guru" who went throught clean your SIM, check your settings routine and informed me there is no problem!

O2 have no problem charging me for these texts that have vanished.

However, there are threads on here and Optus' website about this problem.

Please O2 will you acknowledge that there is an issue and what you are doing about it.

Message 11 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

my texts to my partner in Australia who is on Optus have not been received since 28th November 2012.  I have contacted 02 3 times now, they asked me to send the message by manually putting in +61, then asked me to clean my sim, then sent me a new sim.  All 3 actions have made no difference.  I have told 02 that I can ring his phone but my texts are not received.  I have now been asked to switch on the delivery notice on my phone, which has made absolutely no difference either.  Also I have text another friend on Optus and she did not receive my text, however a different friend on Telstar did receive my text.  My partner, on Optus, can receive texts from the UK from networks Vodaphone, EE and 3.  I spoke to complaints via on line chat today and was told I have been charged over £15 for texts sent?  I am unsure what is happening and would like whatever is wrong to be put right, as this has gone on for 14 days now.

Message 12 of 39

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I'm sure this thread is a duplicate.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 13 of 39

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Possibly but there does seem to be an issue:

https://community.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Not-receiving-SMS-from-UK-carrier-O2/td-p/31632/highlight/f...

The other thread is here, I hope you're all calling O2 about this:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Unable-to-text-Australia/m-p/361384#M34121

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 14 of 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

As long as the networks don't keep passing the buck and work together they should hopefully resolve the issue.

Message 15 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

They seem to be both passing the buck, I have created a duplicate thread to make it more visible and will probably create another one if I don't get an answer the the complaint I posted on Monday evening

Message 16 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is another thread in 02 community titled 'sending text messages from 02 to Optus' and also Optus community in Australia have a thread going.  I have had the problem since 28th Nov 2012 and am getting nowhere with 02.  Can receive text, but mine not delivered to anyone on Optus nor are friends and family on 02 delivered to Optus users.   However Vodaphone, 3 & EE all UK get delivered.  I did have text delivered to Telstar. It is only texts as I was able to ring the Optus phone.  I wonder at what stage 02 will take this seriously and realise it is not my phone, my settings or my sim, which all have been checked/changed at their suggestion etc.  Christmas is coming and the situation will get worse as more people try to contact Australia.  Will the 2 companies decide to look at the problem then, when everyone is getting really angry????

Message 17 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have created a duplicate thread and will probably create another one if I don't get an answer the the complaint I posted on Monday evening

That just causes confusion as the answers get spread out all over the place and it gets difficult to follow. Mods will merge all threads with the same issue/question anyway...... Many people have problems which we do our best to help with (and don't see the need to post everywhere), however, this is a specific tech issue which may or may not be able to be influenced by a setting on a machine. You will have to be patient and wait for the technical team to investigate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very new to the Community.....I've been having problems getting my text messages received in Oz. I can get msgs from there...BUT...my friends and family cannot...do not get mine. Please...what is the problem?

Message 19 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just having a nosey online and it looks to me that the issue is with Optus. 
I guess if O2 are saying the messages are showing as sent and Optus have something wrong there end then there is not a great deal or to be honest a high enough number of complaints to take action other than what they have already done.

Maybe till Optus takes ownership of the issue as other carriers over there are not having any issues then something like Whatsapp can fill the void for the time being.

Message 20 of 39