cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to text Australia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not been able to SMS numbers in Australia since last week. The texts appear to go and I get debited, I can call the numbers. The numbers are on two different Oz networks (Telstra and Optus) and I can text UK numbers. I can text the Australian numbers from another UK network (EE) with no problem.  I've spoken with customer services who says the messages have been sent and therefore its nothing to do with them - they are not prepared to look any further into it saying "it's their end." Clearly it's something related to O2 otherwise it wouldn't work from EE and its unlikely that the same problem would exist on two separate Australian networks. As CS won't help is there anyone here that can advise please? 

Thank you

Message 1 of 39
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks that's very interesting to see the Optus site. Although I can't text my daughter's Telstra number either I know that she was with Optus until earlier this year and her number was ported to Telstra so I'm assuming that has something to do with it. We have an Optus SIM which we use when travelling to OZ - which we can't text either even when its roaming here on O2 at the moment, so I'll report the issue to Optus as well. I have heard nothing back via the CEO's office as yet. I might send them the Optus link as well. 

Update - reported it Optus - not interested - they say it must be an O2 problem. Have asked CEO office for an update and pointed them to the Optus site forum. This is clearly a problem which neither O2 or Optus want to own and consequently progress. I'm off to EE if they can't sort this out.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried from another o2 Line? That would determine whether it was a fault with you or across the network. The latter would give it a bit more clout.

Have you been able to text any other foreign phones?

If it's just your phone been unable to text any foreign network then it could be a setting on your account that needs tweaking.

If you can text another network and other o2 lines cannot text phones on the Aussie networks then it looks like a problem with the set up between o2 and the networks concerned. This isn't something that a front end advisor could fix nor know anything about for that matter so it would need to be passed on to somewhere else by them. Just not sure where that would be on o2. Some sort of Foreign Network Agreements area....

If you need anyone to send a text test to the foreign number drop me a PM and I'll send one for you. Would be from an o2 pay monthly phone though rather than Pay & go but would serve the same purpose.

Message 2 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply and offer of help.  I'm trying from another O2 P&G phone today.  I had another online chat with a "Guru" yesterday. After much time wasting - i.e taking SIM out and wiping a with a dry cloth etc. he's agreed to send a replacement SIM- but like you I think it's an account setting - I don't see it being the SIM - I doubt I'd be able to use it at all if it was. I just can't get anyone interested in checking further. I said to the first CSA I spoke to that if it couldn't be resolved I'd have to consider another operator  - his reply "Suit yourself" and he cleared the call. Unbelieveable.

Message 3 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a pretty poor response, was it nearing home time....

If you have no joy with the new SIM, let me know and I'm happy to give you a spanish number to send a text to as a test, I'll then confirm with my Sister in law whether she's received your text or not. If it's received the fault is between the 2 networks not your SIM / set up as I know she gets texts from the wife.

Regards

J

Message 4 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for your offer of help. The new SIM made no diference and my friend on O2 can't text the numbers either yet they are Ok from other UK networks.  I've contacted the CEO's office and they have now agreed to progress it further.

I'll post the outcome.

Message 5 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like it's network level then, definately let us know the outcome, interesting one this slight_smile

Regards

J

Message 6 of 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Strange as my son on P&G regularly texts his friend in Australia although I don't know the network she is on.

Message 7 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been able SMS OZ numbers ever since I've been with O2 (5 years) up until a week ago.  Hence my post. "Coincidentally" a neighbour who is on O2 PAYG has exactly the same problem but to numbers in Panama City; O2 "can't help - as it it must be their end."  I'm still waiting to hear back from O2. 

Message 8 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the exact same problem sending text messages to Optus customers. I receive their messages but nothing goes through. I have sent the same message to an Optus customer and an Orange customer. The Orange customer received the message.

I have just spent an ghour talking to a Guru who very kindly did all the clean your SIM, check your settings etc. there is nothing wrong with your account la la la.......

My Guru would not accept that there is something wrong which there obviously is!

There is a simlar forum on Optus https://community.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Not-receiving-SMS-from-UK-carrier-O2/m-p/32298/highlight/fa...

Message 9 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks that's very interesting to see the Optus site. Although I can't text my daughter's Telstra number either I know that she was with Optus until earlier this year and her number was ported to Telstra so I'm assuming that has something to do with it. We have an Optus SIM which we use when travelling to OZ - which we can't text either even when its roaming here on O2 at the moment, so I'll report the issue to Optus as well. I have heard nothing back via the CEO's office as yet. I might send them the Optus link as well. 

Update - reported it Optus - not interested - they say it must be an O2 problem. Have asked CEO office for an update and pointed them to the Optus site forum. This is clearly a problem which neither O2 or Optus want to own and consequently progress. I'm off to EE if they can't sort this out.

Message 10 of 39