Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to gain access into Yahoo mail with Blackberry 9900

sub101uk
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 38 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was wonder if O2 have done some thing as I am unable to gain access to yahoo mail with my BB 9900 . I fully understand this is a very old phone and the browser and firmware is way out of date :

Bundle 7.1 2807 V7.1.0.1033, Platform 5.1.0.692

Portions of the browser are copyright 4thpass

This is the most updated firmware I could find .My problem is this when I try to connect to yahoo mail ,

I get this on my screen " There was a problem establishing a secure connection " ( stop or details )  If you press details you see this " Server Certificate Error Details " Domain Name Mismatch " Connection attempted to guce.yahoo.com This has been disallowed by your administraror "

The details are : -

Untrusted cert Chain
Stale Chain Status
Revocation Status
Unknown
Trust Status
Not Trusted
Expiration Date
Thu, July 2018 1:00 pm
Certificate Type
X509
Public key type RSA 2048

I cleaned all the history and it was the same ? I reinstalled new firmware and reinstalled all my old mail and it was the same when you try to connect to https://mail.yahoo.com/neo/m/launch?reason=landshark using the browser .There was a problem establishing a secure connection " ( stop or details ) 

Now I do have a second BB 9900 and that connects fine to yahoo mail so it looks like the problem is with current BB 9900 .

I was thinking of doing a total reset on the phone and see if that has cleared the problem .

Any thoughts from any one ?
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi again @sub101uk, and sorry to hear you still can't access your emails properly. I've checked on our end, and while O2 did not block you from using the service, since this phone is quite old, even Blackberry are not around to support from a manufacturer point of view.

Apps as they age will have expired certificates, but if you look here (info copied below), Yahoo have indicated that they will block older apps & this can vary which means that in time the other blackberry phones may also stop 

YAHOO:

Ways to securely access Yahoo Mail

By default, we block access to Yahoo Mail from outdated apps that could leave your account vulnerable. If we sent you an email indicating that your app is using outdated security protocols or you're unable to log in from an older app, you still have several options available to you.

Secure options to access Yahoo Mail

Give temporary access to outdated third-party apps

While you switch apps or update your app, you can give the old app temporary access. Just remember, this is not intended for permanent access and you'll want to turn it off afterwards.

1. Sign in to Yahoo Mail.
  2. Go to your "Account security" settings.
  3. Turn on Allow apps that use less secure sign in.

Once the feature is turned on, you'll get regular alerts reminding you to turn it off. To do so, just follow the steps above and turn off "Allow apps that use less secure sign in."

Hope this helps!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@sub101ukYou may have the wrong bolt on for the current phone

Probably best to contact customer services to see if can be reconfigured

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If your other BB is running the same firmware and connects fine then it would certainly suggest that it's some sort of configuration error that a full reset may just fix for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 4 of 10

sub101uk
  • 38 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Guys many thanks for all your replys its a pity I cannot do attachments on this site as I could do a screen shot and show you .

But for many years I have used a 9900 to access yahoo via my browser and all has been fine until now .But I am running out of options as I have clean all the browser data : From Passwords to Cache .

I reinstalled the firmware 7.1 Bundle 2807 (v7.1.0.1033 Platform 5.1.0.692 ) and reinstalled the mail and you still get the error message .

There was a problem establishing a secure connection .

Stop

Details

If you click details you see : Server Certificate Error Details Domain Name Mismatch .

Connection attempted to :

s1.yimg.com

The server certicate is configured for :

flic.kr

flickr.com

ymail.com

s.yimg.com

*yahoo.com

*fantasysports.yahoo.com

*answers.yahoo.com

*calendar.yahoo.com

*flickr.com

*groups.yahoo.com

*mail.yahoo.com

*msg.yahoo.com

*ymail.com

*finance.yahoo.com

*news.yahoo.com

*video.yahoo.com

*m.yahoo.com

*search.yahoo.com

*yahooapis.com

*mg.mail.yahoo.com

*api.fabtasysports.yahoo.com

*autos.yahoo.com

*everything.yahoo.com

*football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

*games.com

*lifestyle.yahoo.com

*movies.yahoo.com

*mujer.yahoo.com

*music.yahoo.com

*safely.yahoo.com

*screen.yahoo.com

*shine.yahoo.com

This has been disallowed by your administrator .

OK

View Certificate

Untrusted Cert Chain

Stale Chain Status

Revocation Status

Unknown

Trust Status

Not Trusted

Expiration Date :

Sat , July 12, 2018 1:00:00

Certification Type

X509

Public Key Type

RSA 2048

Subject:

CN=*yahoo.com

Now if I try my other BB 9900 and contect to the yahoo URL it works fine via my home wifi which brings me to think that O2 are blocking me for some strange reason .

What I might try next is do a factory reset on the phone then try .

Many Thanks

Message 5 of 10

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @sub101uk slight_smile

Did the factory reset help fix this, or did you find out more info since you last posted? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 6 of 10

sub101uk
  • 38 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am still waiting to hear back from O2 regarding what is going on , If I dont hear any thing soon I will just do a factory reset and see if the phone is the same .

Or

Put my sim card in the other 9900 but I think last I tried this it was asking for a code . Will let you know what the out come is , When I did speak to O2 regarding buying a new BB since the old 9900 must be over 10 years old they said they no longer sold BB .So looks like buying a new BB on Ebay .

Thanks for all your help .

Message 7 of 10

sub101uk
  • 38 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Things are still the same with my 9900 if I try to connect to yahoo mail I still get the same old message .

There was a problem establishing a secure connection .

Stop

details

if you click on details you just get SERVER CERTIFICATE ERROR DETAILS 

Then I see many URLs

If you click on VIEW CERTIFICATE

You see Untrusted Cert Chain 

Stale  Chain Status

Revocation Status

Unknown

Trust Status

NOT TRUSTED

EXPIRATION DATE

Thu . July 12, 2018 1.00.:00 PM

Certificate Type

X509

This has been disallowed by your administrator

So I would say its O2 that has blocked me , Very strange ?

Message 8 of 10

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi again @sub101uk, and sorry to hear you still can't access your emails properly. I've checked on our end, and while O2 did not block you from using the service, since this phone is quite old, even Blackberry are not around to support from a manufacturer point of view.

Apps as they age will have expired certificates, but if you look here (info copied below), Yahoo have indicated that they will block older apps & this can vary which means that in time the other blackberry phones may also stop 

YAHOO:

Ways to securely access Yahoo Mail

By default, we block access to Yahoo Mail from outdated apps that could leave your account vulnerable. If we sent you an email indicating that your app is using outdated security protocols or you're unable to log in from an older app, you still have several options available to you.

Secure options to access Yahoo Mail

Give temporary access to outdated third-party apps

While you switch apps or update your app, you can give the old app temporary access. Just remember, this is not intended for permanent access and you'll want to turn it off afterwards.

1. Sign in to Yahoo Mail.
  2. Go to your "Account security" settings.
  3. Turn on Allow apps that use less secure sign in.

Once the feature is turned on, you'll get regular alerts reminding you to turn it off. To do so, just follow the steps above and turn off "Allow apps that use less secure sign in."

Hope this helps!

signature

Message 9 of 10

sub101uk
  • 38 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many Thanks for all your help it looks like I will have to go into the local O2 store here and see what deal they can do .

I have stuck with this account because I have unlimited internet access so I dont have to worry about how much data I use . Because a few years ago there was megger screw up and I ended up with 3 x £1134 bills , I did get a refund but soon after that I did change my BB account to unlimited . 

But I will check with the local O2 store and see what deals they have on the go .

Thanks again .

Message 10 of 10