cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

When the  page asks for members to not submit personal info, it refers to any info that the member themselves could potentially put into an email. Any communication that you want to report should be sent as an attachment to phishing@o2.com

As soon as I have more info on the issue guys, you'll be the first to know. For now, please report any strange O2-related communications you receive via the address above.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 351 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello again everyone.

I have had a further conversation with the Directors Office today regarding the phishing emails.

In essence o2 are claiming that the ICO were notified some time before the press interest was shown. It was part of their standard process (The Register claimed to have phoned the ICO to be told that they had not been alerted. ........).

In relation to the myo2 data that a member on here mentioned, they said that the fact the page was a replica of o2's official page didn't confirm the data came from o2. They felt the page was mocked up by the scammers with information (wherever it came from) inserted.

In relation to partner sharing of data, they said that partners only hold limited information and certainly not all the information that other members are reporting on here. They were clear that the partners are only given the limited info they need to provide services and would not have puk codes for example.

We agreed to disagree on the outcome of this conversation. I continue to feel the breach is from o2 and that there are rumblings beneath the waves.

I also expressed concern that o2 are silent on this. He said o2 are not silent and that they are responding to individual concerns. I explained I felt that many out there might be affected as o2 are silent. He said the info is on the website. O2 have no plans to communicate with customers.

Nice to know we give our data and hard earned cash to a company that cares about us eh? ??
Message 352 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Well if that's the official line I am quite disgusted. No plans to make it more public than it is? Why not if they have nothing to 'hide'?

As for not contacting customers....thanks for nothing...Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 353 of 374

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Still pleading innocent when all the evidence points to a serious data breach. Responding to individuals is not the way to approach this and their response to yourself contradicts the information reported by the Register. We will have to await further developments...

Message 354 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think @Cleoriff has a very valid point. They say there are so many phishing scams that they can't and won't contact customers every time a new one comes out.
Message 355 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
It gets better and I suspect it's related. I did not get the phishing email but yet someone has been able to access my O2 account change my email address to one they have set up and order a new iPhone 6 on contract to a totally different address to the one already on my account.
Yet it's me that have to tell them the order is fradulant, I only noticed because I got an email to say I'd changed the email address on my account.
Did not get a decent answer from the fraud department this morning as to why this order was aloud to be processes and did not flag as my email had just been changed and was going to an address not registered to my account.
Message 356 of 374

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It gets better and I suspect it's related. I did not get the phishing email but yet someone has been able to access my O2 account change my email address to one they have set up and order a new iPhone 6 on contract to a totally different address to the one already on my account.
Yet it's me that have to tell them the order is fradulant, I only noticed because I got an email to say I'd changed my email.
Did not get a decent answer from the fraud department this morning as to why this order was aloud to be processes and did not flag as my email had just been changed and was going to an address not registered to my account.

You should change your password immediately too as it would appear they have access to all your info including log in details and security words.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 357 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Changed it all last night when if clicked to the email change.
Message 358 of 374

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

This type of fraudulent activity has been going on for years where people's passwords have been changed and phones ordered to different addresses. I thought this had been largely eradicated with stricter controls but apparently not.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Fraud-How-can-this-happen/m-p/377498/highlight/t...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Yet-another-hacked-account/m-p/481072/highlight/tr...

Message 359 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Good god....this gets even worse. Worried much? yes I think so....Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 360 of 374