cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

I received this email yesterday on Jan 23rd twice.  Today, the 24th, I have received the same email twice but this time the subject line was changed to add the words "second reminder" and with today's date.

The emails are certainly very specific.  They contain the O2 plan that I am on and how much it costs.  My full name and correct birthdate are in the email, as well as my mobile phone number.  My email address is at the bottom of the email as well.  The very first email said that I was on an iPhone 5S (and I have only used iPhones since I moved to O2).  This is not just a normal phishing email.

There has to be a security breach somewhere.  Why?  I have not lived in the UK since July 2012, though I kept my O2 account going because I use it when I visit.  I have only put my O2 sim card back into my iPhone 3 times since I left, every time when I visited.  And when I last used my sim card, it was only to make phone calls; I did not do that much browsing.

When I left the UK, I was using a iPhone 4S, and the last time I used the O2 sim, I was on a 5S.  And yet, this email knew I was on a 5S. 

I have been keeping the account active for nostalgia reasons, but I think it is time that I closed it down.

Jon

Message 71 of 374

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Proves once and for all (if proof was needed) that it has nothing to do with keylogging.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 72 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its all well and good Rich but o2 REFUSE to even acknowledge the issue, or rather they don't even think there is an issue.

Edited by me

Message 73 of 374

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Edited.

Message 74 of 374

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Nick, pm sent.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 75 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I have already passed on my concerns regarding the official statement of "keylogger" to Toby when this came up before, I believe he was going to feedback what I said to the relevant team.
Message 76 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have raised the issue with O2 with the ICO recommended template letter and emailed it with all the phishing emails to higher level complaints, addressed to the Data Controller at Telefonica UK Ltd, with hard copies in the post. The automated email response explains that I should expect a reply within 7 working days... by which time I should have had my identity stolen a good number of times, be the proud owner of several mobile contracts that are responsible for thousands of expensive calls to a faraway tropical island every few minutes and be wiring all my hard earned cash to various scams around the world. Many thanks for looking after my data so carefully and taking my concerns seriously, O2! I will be looking elsewhere for my contract next time.
Message 77 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I please ask what email address you used for Higher Level Complaints @Anonymous as they don't actually have a group one.

I just want to be sure that people reading this after the event don't get the wrong guidance. 

Message 78 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
I sent it to complaintreviewservice@o2.com and got a sensible automated response suggesting it reached the right dept.
Message 79 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the automated response from the above email:

Thanks for your email. We’ll look into things and get back to you within 7 working days.

You can see all the details of our complaints process at www.o2.co.uk/complaints.

Kind regards

Complaint Review Service
Message 80 of 374