Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still being charged for my old Switch Up phone

Rob_83
Level 1: Joiner
  • 31 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, so I know this isn't a customer support forum but I wondered if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

Back on 12th of October I did a Switch-Up from a Pixel Fold to a Pixel 8 Pro. I promptly returned the Fold by post (unfortunately the new way to do it) and got a confirmation from O2 Recycle/Ingram Micro it was received on the 18th Oct.

My October bill comes in and it's £48 higher than expected. This is the device cost for the fold. I didn't worry at the time as I suspected it was a timing thing and I'd get a rebate the next Month.

November bill comes around and I'm again being charged for the Fold on top of my P8P. I called last week and they confirmed the issue and said it'd be sorted and I'd get a revised bill for November.

I heard nothing all week so I called again today and there's no bloody record of last week's incident being raised so I had to go through the motions all over again. This time I got a reference number and a promise of a call in 24/48 hours. Not convinced the latter will happen but at least I have a reference number this time.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had been affected by this. Might be worth noting this was the first time I'd switched up on the 'new' system. Prior to that I did the whole thing in-store and it was painless every time. If this kind of thing is liable to happen often because of what I suspect is a communication breakdown between Billing and Recycle, I'm really not going to enjoy future switch-ups, not knowing if my next bill is going to be inflated or not...

Message 1 of 50
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 649 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 16 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @MI5 

This is currently being investigated.

@AW11Ghost I've responded to your latest PM 👍

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 47 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35955 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

Nope, sounds like a ball has been dropped somewhere, @Rob_83 -  Guide: Introducing O2 Switch Up. Swap phones whenever you want! # reach out to CS via 202 or Social Media at the link below.

Message 2 of 50

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Rob_83 

Not aware that posting the phone back was an option or part of the new rules?

Not surprised it's fallen over in that case as the old contract should be cancelled in store upon receipt of the device. Good luck with sorting it out.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 50

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Rob_83 

Not heard of having to post anything either as part of switch up, who told you, that it had to be posted back, as that sounds like a recipe for disaster for trouble and issues.. 

I have done all my switch ups in store, and the store have always taken the phone, the wife is on the new billing platform and hasn't had to send anything either...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 50

Rob_83
  • 31 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Since moving on the new account system they claimed it was a requirement and I could no longer switch up in-store. My partner was still on the old account system so she was able to do hers in-store.

The contract side is all fine though and switched normally, it's just the device side that hasn't been closed down despite them acknowledging that the phone was safely returned. So I'm paying for one tariff and 2 devices.

I'll give it a couple of days and tweet CS with the reference number if I hear nothing. Good to know it appears to be an isolated issue though and not a potentially repeating issue. Thanks all.

Message 5 of 50

Mithun88g
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Rob_83 , even I'm facing the exact issue. Even I had to post out my old phone to Ingram Micro. Now I'm being charged for my old device as well as new one. When I call CS, they say that I have to visit store to cancel the old contract and when I visit store they say that old contract has been cancelled and there is nothing they can do and re-directing me back to CS. I was able to get a reference number few days back but no update since then. Did you get your issue resolved?

Message 6 of 50

Rob_83
  • 31 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did not. 11th Dec rolled around and I got overcharged yet again.

I did end up tweeting them on Thurs 7th and even provided the reference number, but they were clueless and expected me to start from scratch for the third time.

I filed a formal complaint via Resolver on Monday. I would have much preferred to just do the whole thing in-store. This experience has really soured my opinion of O2.

Message 7 of 50

Rob_83
  • 31 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Also, them telling you to go to the store to get the contract cancelled further reinforces my belief that these various departments know nothing and are completely unable to talk to each other. It's not the contract, it's the device plan (for me anyway).

Reminds me how inept they were when the switch up terms were changed and every store had a different interpretation of the rules. Total communication breakdown across the whole business.

Message 8 of 50

Mithun88g
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

May be I will try tweeting them and see what happens. But yeah you are right. Looks like their systems do not talk to each other.

Message 9 of 50

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5684 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Rob_83 @Mithun88g 

Please keep us updated on developments. 

Message 10 of 50