Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split joint contract

HEJ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Do you know if it's possible to split a joint contract? I recently took out a joint contract with my boyfriend at the time but we've recently split up. He's happy to take over the contract of his number and it would be better for me to split it so that we're completely separate financially. Do you know if this is something O2 will do?
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
If there are 2 phones on one contract it's not possible to split them into 2 contracts at all.
The only possibility is to pay off the device plan for one phone and cancel it allowing one person to take a new contract in their name only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@HEJ Whose name is on the contract?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
If there are 2 phones on one contract it's not possible to split them into 2 contracts at all.
The only possibility is to pay off the device plan for one phone and cancel it allowing one person to take a new contract in their name only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 9

HEJ
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It's my name on both contracts. There are 2 separate contracts but both in my name currently and both being paid out of my bank.
Message 4 of 9

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@HEJ Then if you don't want the phone that your ex has to be in your name any more, the device plan has to be paid off on that phone (whoever pays that is up to you, but it has to be paid by you). You can then cancel the air time part of that contract by giving 30 days notice. If your ex then wants a contract in his name, he needs to apply for it himself. He can take a sim only contract to use with the paid off phone, but he will have to pass a credit check to do this. Alternatively, he could use a Pay & Go sim in that phone if he thinks he won't pass the credit check.

Edit: The reality is you don't have a joint contract. Both phones are in your name, and you are responsible for the payments for them.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@HEJ 

Unfortunately as I said above, one contract will have to be paid off.

Refresh help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

HEJ
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the advice. What a pain!
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Best of luck.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@HEJ Yes it certainly is. Sorry to have been the bearer of trouble for you, but it is what it is.Smiley Frustrated

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 9